Which Version do you prefer?

Which Version do you prefer?

• A

Votes: 31 100.0%
  • B

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Are you going to make this a guessing game, like the ubermacros?

THIS POLL is like, "Soooo, which would you prefer on a hot day: A, a cold, frosty mug of root beer? Or B) An empty pop can with some sand in the bottom of it?

This poll has an ulterior motive. I'm just keeping my powder dry until more folks have a chance to vote. Then all will be revealed.

Waiting patiently....

I A just a tone-mapped version of B?

Well, since it seems everyone likes A (at the time I posted this, it's 26-0), I'll let the cat out of the bag.

A is a simple, edited raw file. Slight contrast increase ('S' in curve), saturation boosted a bit, a minor high-pass focus and the blue sky darkened (it was shot early in the morning, and the sky was hazy from distant forest fires).

B is the best SOOC JPEG version I could muster.

So......... for all those in the 'get-it-right-in-the-camera' camp....... you'd still be happy with version B now? And how many who voted are ardent 'get-it-right-in-the-camera' adherents?

Nice. I was thinking it was somehow related to the white balance settings (auto for #1, manual for #2).

Nice. I was thinking it was somehow related to the white balance settings (auto for #1, manual for #2).

That's because in order to create the in-camera JPEG, I applied manual settings and converted the raw file in-camera.

So......... for all those in the 'get-it-right-in-the-camera' camp....... you'd still be happy with version B now? And how many who voted are ardent 'get-it-right-in-the-camera' adherents?

nice...I always run with raw files myself....but personally I've always felt the 'get-it-right-in-the-camera' camp was more about getting correct exposure, leveled, composed, WB, etc in the camera, to minimize the amount of editing that was required, regardless of file format...y'know, to use the best practices and improve shooting skills rather than shooting haphazardly and having a 'I can fix it in PS' mindset......perhaps I'm mistaken on that, but that's how I always understood the term 'get it right in camera'

every image requires some level of editing regardless of how well exposed and composed, and just like you've demonstrated, I would rather trust myself to do those adjustments rather than trusting an automatic function for the results I wish to get.

so to answer your question, I voted for A, but I really don't know what camp I belong to. I would say maybe the 'get it right in camera, while shooting raw, and doing my own editing and adjustments' camp?

.........so to answer your question, I voted for A, but I really don't know what camp I belong to. I would say maybe the 'get it right in camera, while shooting raw, and doing my own editing and adjustments' camp?

Perhaps you're more like me.... the "get-in-as-good-as-the-limits-of-the-camera-will-allow-me-to-get-it and know-I-can-iimprove-that-in-post".

So......... for all those in the 'get-it-right-in-the-camera' camp....... you'd still be happy with version B now?

I don't think that's generally what's meant by getting it right in camera. What you're describing could be done as a batch job on every photo shot that day with a few simple clicks. NOT getting it right in camera may require layers, dodging and burning, etc, which is something that can't be done as a batch across all files. NOT getting it right in camera may also include inconsistent exposures and WB from file to file, also making it impossible to do as a batch job. The only difference between your A and B is that your desktop processor edited the RAW data rather than your camera processor.

So......... for all those in the 'get-it-right-in-the-camera' camp....... you'd still be happy with version B now?

I don't think that's generally what's meant by getting it right in camera. What you're describing could be done as a batch job on every photo shot that day with a few simple clicks. NOT getting it right in camera may require layers, dodging and burning, etc, which is something that can't be done as a batch across all files. NOT getting it right in camera may also include inconsistent exposures and WB from file to file, also making it impossible to do as a batch job. The only difference between your A and B is that your desktop processor edited the RAW data rather than your camera processor.

Maybe I'm dumb or something, but "get-it-right-in-the-camera" means (to me) not doing any editing in post. Use only the controls built into the camera... Sharpness, contrast, saturation, WB, etc. Accept the JPEG the camera gives you. Don't adjust any curves or levels, saturation, contrast, etc in your computer. Just resize it if need be, maybe crop it and straighten it out.

I guess I'm the "get-it-as-close-as-I-possibly-can-and-edit-what's-needed" and the "I-can't-edit-junk-into-a-masterpiece" camps.

Voting for A, colours and contrast make it "jump out" more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back