Which would you Choose and WHY?

princessa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I cannot make up my mind!! I am trying to decide between the Canon 85mm 1.8 prime and the Tamron 28-75 2.8 zoom lens, I am starting to do alot more portraits, bridals soon and even a wedding in Nov. If you had to choose between the 2, which would you choose and why?

Right now I have
50mm 1.8
18-55
75-300

and we all know that the last 2 arent that great so please HELP!! lol Thanks!!!!!!!!

They are quite different lenses, it's hard to say which would be best for you do get.

For portraits, I would probably like the 85mm better...but if you want to shoot weddings, having an F2.8 zoom lens will be a big advantage over what you have. Although, personally I would go with something like the Tamron 17-50 F2.8.

As Mike said, If you are doing weddings then a faster zoom would be very handy. Given what you have, I would go with the tamron. The 50mm isnt a bad portrait lens, you may find the tamron more handy in a low light reception setting.

I cannot make up my mind!! I am trying to decide between the Canon 85mm 1.8 prime and the Tamron 28-75 2.8 zoom lens, I am starting to do alot more portraits, bridals soon and even a wedding in Nov. If you had to choose between the 2, which would you choose and why?

Right now I have
50mm 1.8
18-55
75-300

and we all know that the last 2 arent that great so please HELP!! lol Thanks!!!!!!!!

Start with the faster zoom. Either the 28-75 or the 17-50. Either will be more useful than the 85 at a wedding. The 50mm f1.8 will do well for portraits and low light shots at the wedding if needed.

Next replace your telephoto with a faster lens too. You may find indoors in a church you'll not get nearly enough shutter speed when out at 200 or 300mm - depends on brightness of church/registry.

The 85. Why, because you already have a 18-55 and a 75-300, and with the 85, you can always take a few steps closer or further away.

The 85. Why, because you already have a 18-55 and a 75-300, and with the 85, you can always take a few steps closer or further away.

This would be fine under normal circumstances. Throw in a wedding and all becomes very different. you may not be able to move much (I was stuck in one position at the last).

85 is a fine lens and I like using it however the flexibility of a zoom at a wedding should not be underestimated.

The two zooms the OP currently has are both too slow to by of great use at a wedding unless just shooting as a guest and quality is not 100% important.

The same argument could be made in reverse: Get the fast zoom. Why, because you already have a 50mm F1.8 and you can just take a few steps closer.

I agree with EOS JD.
the flexibility of a zoom at a wedding should not be underestimated.
The two zooms the OP currently has are both too slow to by of great use at a wedding

If weddings are a serious consideration, then I would suggest two zooms to cover a wide range of needs. They are both expensive, and they are the predominant lenses of choice by Canon shooters for weddings. The first is the Canon 24-70mm f2.8L and the second is the Canon 70-200 f2.8L. Their quality is unrivaled.

You are looking at close to $3,000 in lenses with these two, but if weddings are the direction you are going then they should be at the top of your list for consideration. The Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is a good lens IMO. I own it as well, but it's performance compared to either of the Canons in the type of situation you will be facing does not match up. Low light AF is much faster with the two Canons. That can make the difference in getting the shot and or missing it. If they are out of your price range at this point, depending on the amount of your business, you might consider renting one or both of them just for weddings now and saving to purchase them when you can.

Of the two that you mentioned I would go for the Zoom as well, but I do like Big Mike suggestion of the 17-50. I know that lens and know what can be done with it. I have never shot the 28-75 2.8.

WOW! Thank you all sooo much!! i really didnt expect so many replies lol! you all are great!!!!!!!! Ok so I have some thinking to do LOL
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HUGS
Crystal

The Canon 24-70mm f2.8L + 70-200mm f2.8L IS is the exo-de facto-Canon-line-lens response for anyone looking for the absolutely best image quality in a zoom. Anyone who posts "I need a good Canon zoom" thread will no doubt get one or both those lenses as an answer. They are no doubt one of the best zooms in the line up and both are wonderful. I have shot with both and have wonderful results.

BUT.

They are not for everyone.. both in use and price. I for one have sold mine.

Just recommending that you check them out (rent perhaps) before dropping that kind of investment.

You already have a good prime for low-light.. the 50mm f1.8. I would also second going with the Tamron zoom. Don't forget to check out similar offerings from Sigma.. there are many on this forum that have said good things about Sigma.

Most reactions

Back