Which zoom lens for Pentax K100

Andie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I see that the Tamron 28-300mm isn't getting high reviews here (or anywhere else on the web) and of course that's what they wanted to sell me.

I was wondering what lens the Pentax dslr users would reccommed? After suffering this weekend trying to take some bird pictures I know I HAVE to buy a new lens.

Thanks in advance! :)

I take it you're using the standard kit lens at the moment? If so you then you've already got 18-55mm covered and you probably don't need a zoom that covers that range. I think that as a rule, zooms which go from say 70-200 or 70-300 tend to be better than those which start lower. I went for the Tamron 70-300 that was offered with my K100d kit, simply because it was very very cheap and covers a good range. As it has the option of manual aperture selection I can even use it with my manual film Pentax SLRs. If I was after the best optical quality available then I'd go for a (more expensive) prime or a (even more expensive) fast quality zoom. As it is, the cheap 70-300 does the job. Pentax themselves make a similar budget 70-300mm if you'd rather stick with them.

Yep, I have the 18 -55. Thanks for the info on the 70 - 300, I reallly haven't looked yet, but am going to have to start.

Most reactions

Back