Whick Nikon speedlight for my D7200?

Discussion in 'Nikon Accessories' started by Blind Bruce, May 19, 2016.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    There are a number of speedllights from Nikon. Which ones work best with the D7200 remains a mystery to me. I cannot say that price is no object but I am willing to pay for a unit that can use all the features available on the camera. I plan on buying a softbox for portraits as well.

2. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    SB800 or 900. I would wait for more experience though. I use a SB600 with an off camera bracket and it works great.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You are very unlikely to use all those features. There is also a pretty steep learning curve you will need to climb to understand which feature, and feature settings, to use in which shooting situation.

Plus in the various modes that have the camera/flash unit making decisions regarding flash power or other variable settings the program often makes choices counter to what you are wanting to accomplish. Or put another way when the camera/flash make decisions expect inconsistent results.

I would recommend starting with a manual flash because learning to use a manual flash is significantly easier than learning to use a flash unit having a bucket full of bells and whistles.
    Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon. GN58.

4. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I use SB-800s as my primary speedlights. I used to have SB-600s but I needed the Modeling Light (high speed flashes) to capture image motion in one shot.

But I always grab the SB-700 for ease of use. The menu system on that is far superior to the 800s. The 900/910 are awesome too but pricey.

You can always put the SB-700s (or others ) in Manual Exposure mode, which mine are most of the time unless I put the SB-700 on a bracket for roving.

So I recommend the SB-700s for ease of use and not the priciest.

There's also Yongnuo flashes but you want their 568 ( ?? their best model w/HSS). (edited to correct number from 685 to 586 .. at least I had the right numbers lol )

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  5. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

I'd get the cheapest TTL flash available for on-camera use. For off-camera use with light modifiers and "Strobist" lighting set-ups, older manual Nikon speedlights(SB-24/25/26) with cheap radio triggers can open up tons of creative options.

6. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Have a look at a Yongnuo yn 568. It is ttl, has high speed sync or fps in nikon talk, can be set manual also and is not overly expensive.

7. wfooshee

wfooshee No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    That's odd..... My SB-600 does the modeling light on my D7000, both in the hotshoe and under CLS control from the pop-up.

To the original question, to start out, I think the SB-700 is the way to go. Use it, learn what the flash can do, how the exposure works with automatic and manual flash settings, and when you bump into something that you wish it would do, then you think about some cash and a better unit like the 910.

The Yongnuo units are significantly less expensive, match the Nikons feature for feature, but the documentation is..... amusing. Also, the quality control is not the same level. not to say the Yongnuos don't work, but you are much more likely to get a unti that fails in a short time than you are with Nikon flashes. best bet with Yongnuo would be to find a Facebook group with a lot of people using them; you'll get it figured out that way a lot faster than trying to understand the translated Chinese "manuals."

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  8. dannylightning

dannylightning Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    this is not a nikon speed light but its I-TTL so it works with your nikon.. there are many comparisions i have seen vs this and the most expensive nikon speed light. most people say this is just as good. i have 2 of them and they are great on and off camera and they are affordable.... here is a link..

i dropped one of mine, fell off the light stand since i forgot to tighten it to the light stand.. it hit hard and bounced a few times, still working fine..

Amazon.com : Neewer VK750 II i-TTL Speedlite Flash with LCD Display for Nikon D7100 D7000 D5200 D5100 D5000 D3000 D3100 D300 D300S D700 D600 D90 D80 D70 D70S D60 D50 and All Other Nikon DSLR Cameras : On Camera Shoe Mount Flashes : Camera & Photo

also check this review here on the photo forum..

In Depth Comparison/Review: Neewer VK750II vs. Nikon SB700

9. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

I had the SB-700 and I loved that flash, it worked for everything I needed it to and sadly..I sold it due to money problems at the time. I need to pick one up again...