whinge!!

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all, Just wanted to have a quick whinge!!!! I am looking at starting a photography degree of some sort next year and have been busy researching. Unfortunately, there were only a couple to choose from. The 1st - full time Diploma of Photography costing $2880.00 - Perfect but I dont think I can make this sacrifice with little children. So, then I found one offered Part Time at a different institute - Perfect I thought till I was given the price tag...... a hefty $25,000.00 over 4 years!!! I nearly died! How can the same course vary in dollars SO much... needless to say I can't afford that kind of cash so I am back to the drawing board!!! Very disappointed as I was ultra keen to start a part-time course starting in the new year!!! If any fellow Aussies know of something let me know... preferring not to do a correspondence course as I know I am one who learns more if I am actually there!:D Thanks for listening to my whinge! Jemma x

Not all diploma's are created equal. A diploma in Photography from TAFE would be a great thing, but is a different thing from say an Arts degree majoring in Photography. Also, be aware of things that are called Diploma's but aren't. There is very little regulation in this space, so you need to understand what it is you're really getting.

I would have to agree with "Azuth" The TAFE course is probably the best for the money. I suppose it depends to a great extent what sort of Photography you want to learn about. Obviously the best way is to get a part time job or work experience with a Photographer doing the style of work you want to pursue.

www.philipweirphotography.com

It sounds like maybe the way for you to go Jemmy would be to just take a class here or there taught by photography professionals. Unless you are specifically wanting a degree? Then, you can pick and choose what you want to focus on. Some classes are all about the photographing the nude. I've seen one offered by a woman in my area who does the most beautiful children's photography and she teaches a class all on children's photography (I'd LOVE to take it, but it's not offered a lot and it's pretty pricey from what I remember.) What about contacting local darkrooms and asking them what sort of classes they offer? (Some teach digital as well as analog). So, maybe you could just take a couple of classes here and there until the kiddos are older and you can go for the degree at the cheaper place then? That is, if you even decide you need a degree. Good luck!

Thanks guys... they both are 'approved' diplomas but at the moment will be taking neither. I have done a couple of 'in home' day courses run by a professional photographer which were great and read stacks of books and learnt a hell of a lot from here. I guess I'd just like the piece of paper that says 'QUALIFIED'. x

Most reactions

Back