White backdrops?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by nightangel73, Jan 23, 2010.

1. nightangel73

nightangel73 TPF Noob!

Were I can get a white backdrop like the ones they use at the Picture People? I want a white backdrop with NO WRINKLES. Any ideas of something reasonable other than paper (paper is not sturde and can mess up quickly)? I don't mind to pay expensive for something good.

2. CxThree

CxThree TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Look at tile board at home depot. A 4x8 sheet is less than $10. Poeple use it for white seemless shots, but they usually stand on it. You could use it for a background too. Its the stuff they make shower walls out of in homes.

3. nightangel73

nightangel73 TPF Noob!

Thanxs! That sounds like a plan :thumbup:

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a piece of vinyl that I use as a white backdrop. I used a low reflectance vinyl (the stuff they use to make those hanging signs). It only comes in 60" widths so I cad a couple pieces welded together.

It works great, and doesn't have many wrinkles, even when I roll & fold it up to take it on location. The small wrinkles that it does get, are easily washed out with cross lighting.

It is much more durable than paper, but it does get dirty and because of the matte finish, it doesn't clean well.

I've also added a piece of white tile board as a extension to the bottom and for a more durable place to stand.

5. nightangel73

nightangel73 TPF Noob!

where you buy the vinyl?

I bought one of the Boss backdrop that claim to be wrinkle free but it does has wrinkles and it just doesn't look right..I want completetly wrinkle free

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I actually work at an industrial fabric company. We have all sorts of different types of fabric like that.

Keep in mind that a wrinkle (texture) free background can be achieved with lighting. Wrinkles show up as texture because a directional light will cause shadows behind the wrinkles...but if you add more light, from another direction, you can fill those shadows...and if there are no shadows, it will likely look smooth in a photo.

Honestly, paper is probably the easiest wrinkle free background. You just have to keep in mind that it's a consumable product. When it gets dirty or destroyed, you just roll out more...and when the roll runs out, just get another one.

Another option would be to build a solid structure like an infinity wall. Basically you use something to create a curve where the floor & ceiling meet. Then you can finish it and paint it white (or whatever).

7. transformed

transformed TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Seamless paper is awesome. And just like Mike said, if it get's messed up, roll out more. I use a new section for every shoot.

8. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  9. njnewby

njnewby TPF Noob!

I've used a matte white posterboard for smaller shots. The thick posterboard with foamboard in the middle.
    You could probably get a larger section.
    I think I found decent size at Michaels or other art places.
    It sturdy to stand up vertically, not expensive and no wrinkles.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  10. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Your gear list makes me think you are not a pro but, if I'm wrong, and you work out of a studio, your best bet is a cyc wall. Permanent seamless background and when it is not cleanable anymore, you just paint it.

I do not endorse the business in the link, it is just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
    Home_Page

A cyc wall can be 1, 2 or 3 walls depending on wants/needs.