White background

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by danalec99, Aug 5, 2004.

1. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    What could be your suggestions for a white background (other than a wall)? What is it that you normally do? Do we have to invest in a backdrop roller, or whatever they call it?

2. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I went to the fabric store and bought a large piece of white muslin. WAY cheaper than buying a "real" back drop and no one has ever noticed the difference.

3. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And how did you "drop" it?

4. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Whats the name of the store?

5. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Any fabric store will have white muslin. Just go and ask for the widest muslin they carry.

6. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cool.. thanks!

7. green

green TPF Noob!

i tried muslin as well... but i've been a lot happier by buying unbleached canvas and artists gesso. (the white "paint" they use on canvases before they paint) its designed to be flexible, and i painted white on one side and black on the other... no shine, no cracking, you can roll it up and not have any trouble.

the other bonus with canvas is that its light tight (especially with the gesson on it) so you don't have to worry about any light coming in from behind.

8. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To hang it you can be as simple as stringing a clothes line across, that's what I do when I'm shooting in my own home. A backdrop stand is usually just 2 legs and a bar going across, and maybe it has a few clamps to keep the backdrop from unrolling or sliding off. It's not difficult to make your own.

I went ahead and bought a cheap background stand just because it folds up so nice and small, and it very portable compared to anything I could make (although a length of clothes line is pretty portable as long as you can find stuff to tie it to). But someday when I have my massive dream studio I'll just use poles hung from ropes and pullies on the ceiling so that they can be lowered and raised.

Edit: For pure white with no texture I like paper. It's cheap and light and I can shine a light through the back to really lighten it up. And when it gets dirty I give it to my daughter to color and paint on.

9. ella

ella TPF Noob!

If it doesn't have to be completely white, then use a sheep skin rug!! I've used these before, and they really look cool :D .. but that may not be the effect you're after

10. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a backdrop stand. I bought one blue muslin. Very nice and very expensive. Couldn't afford any others but needed a black and a white one also so, I went to my local fabric store - JoAnn Fabrics. I bought 2 large pieces and left one white and dyed 1 black. Had to soak it for over an hour in the dye and the black one was kind of a funky dark grey so I hung it on my back yard fence and sprayed it lightly with black spray paint. The coloring isn't even but it looks great. If I put it way behind my subjects, it looks jet black. Since the 2 handmade muslins don't have the hanger pocket at the top, I use big clips from a hardware store to hold them up on the bar.

11. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks green, ksmattfish, ella and photogoddess. :)

12. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi!

Very often I use polistyrene. I have no ide how it is called in english.. I mean this white polistyrene boards to isolate houses agaonst cold in winter. It is quite good to portraits, when you want to have people on a completely white background but awfull for macro shots because it has a texture than is visible from small distance.
    I use it very often to white balance in my cameras.