White balance: Manual or auto?

JClishe

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm just curious, do the more experienced photographers always manually set their WB, or just leave it on auto? I've been getting into the habit of using the cloudy / shady preset whenever I'm in those situations, but just leave it on auto the rest of the time.

Auto almost all the time, the D90 is really good with it so I have no problems letting it decide.

I will use auto outdoors for the most part. I am so used to WB adjustments in Bridge before I send to CS3 that I do any corrections needed there. When I am indoor, I always custom WB off a gray card.

I usually use Auto but I shoot in RAW so it's easy to adjust afterward.

I almost never use the presets (sunny, cloudy, indoors etc). If I'm not going to use auto, it will be when I set a custom WB.

Depends; if I'm working under conditions where I have the luxury of time and the light is not changing rapidly (ie alternating cloud and bright sun) then I'll 'Expodisc' it, but if not, or in changing light, I always leave WB on auto.

Most conditions it stays in Auto.

Some times I will set a custom white balance with the WhiBal card.

I leave my cameras set to AWB and shoot in RAW. I will stick a gray card out there for a set and shoot it which helps me to properly set the WB later in Lightroom.

I just learned how to manually set my white balance for a scene (not just rotating the dial but actually tuning it to the light), but I still use it on auto for the most part. I do use the flash setting when I'm using flash though and I mostly shoot RAW so it's easily adjustable in post if it's not quite right.

I leave mine on Daylight all the time.

I find that I rarely have to change it, and if I suspect that daylight would not be right I take a picture of a WhiBal card.

I seem to get better, and more consistant results with Daylight than Auto.

(Of course, it helps that I mostly shoot with available light.)

Last edited:
I alternate between flash for indoors, and cloudy for outdoors. I use the cloudy setting even on sunny days since it gives a warmer tone. In unknown or mixed light situations, I will set it on auto, bracket the white balance, and pick the best one & correct in PP.

I always use the presets to get close to the lighting conditions I'm expecting. Shooting RAW, I can go back and tweak things later, but I don't trust my camera to make such decisions for me (it's messed-up royally a few times). I find that having a bad WB the first time I look at a shot in LR throws off my creativity, and at best just means more work; I'd rather take the split second in the field to set the camera to the approximate WB I'm expecting. I also think shooting neutral all the time is over-rated. Hell, sometimes I've shot a grey card and used it to set a custom WB that I know is technically right...but it looks aweful, and I revert to the preset that I used in-camera.

I usually use Auto but I shoot in RAW so it's easy to adjust afterward.

I almost never use the presets (sunny, cloudy, indoors etc). If I'm not going to use auto, it will be when I set a custom WB.

I do the same... Auto and RAW so I don't have to worry about if it's off. Though, occasionally I get extreme cases where using a specific white balance and raw would have been a better choice because the color spectrum is SO skewed that I likely lost some data... that's pretty rare though.

If I'm shooting jpeg then I'll take the time to set a custom a lot of the time, correcting WB is a pain w/o raw. Otherwise I'll usually let the camera figure it out and I'll fix it later.

I trust auto for pretty much anything OTHER THAN fluorescent and flash. If in one of the above settings, I go with the pre-programmed setting for each (my p&s has no custom WB).

Most reactions

Back