White Balance Questions

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by ilovemy50d, Apr 5, 2010.

1. ilovemy50d

ilovemy50d TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I posted this on the beginner board a few hours ago, but no one has really looked at it or responded so I figured I'd try over here...

I'm still really confused on how to get the right white balance. I bought a gray card (I haven't used it yet), I've discovered K mode, and just start shooting in RAW. Do I need to be using all of these 'tools' to get the right white balance?
    And honestly, I don't even know what is the right white balance. Although, I can tell you when it's off.
    Any suggestions, tips or tricks would be helpful! TIA!

2. Vinny

Vinny TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I believe most cameras have their auto mode, their preset mode, manual preset mode and some have a user dial in mode. The "K" stands for Kelvin which is what the color of light sources are measured in. It sounds like you want the manual preset mode or you should be using the preset mode which I find closer to the correct white balance than auto. Dialing in the light color temp is something that you need to study up on which light sources have what color temp.

White balance is there to compensate for various types of lighting; incandecent is different than flourescent which is different than daylight ...

I think you should get your manual, look up white balance, see how to set it and play around with it under various lighting types.

3. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Take a photo of your grey card, then take a photo of your subject. Make sure they are in the same light. When you get into Adobe CameraRAW or Lightroom or something, do an auto white balance selection on the grey card. Then select both the grey card and your other images in the same lighting conditions, right click, and find the option to sync your settings.

This takes the white balance setting from the grey card and applies it to other images.
    K setting is essentially useless for most purposes and you're better of just playing in RAW if you're going to be playing with it to this fine extent.

Auto mode has varied success on varied cameras in varied conditions. Some times it gets it spot on, sometimes it sucks quite bad.

5. JimKing

JimKing TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can use Manual/Preset mode. From your menu choose this mode. On the Nikon it flashes. Now place a grey (or white) card at the subject position and move in close enough to fill the image with the grey card only. Now press the shutter release. No photo will be taken but the white balance will be set for the light that was falling on the grey card. Take your planned photo with the subject at the same place as the grey card. Your color balance should be correct.

6. Felix 222

Felix 222 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    shoot in RAW; shoot on auto wb; adjust wb during editing process