White ballance question

akazoly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
I shoot indor with economical daylight bulbs ( 6400 K ):

cflrv3.jpg

Which settings I need to use for correct white ballance. Auto , fluorescent?
Thanks!

I almost always shoot with Auto WB...but I shoot in RAW so that I can adjust it afterward.

The best thing to do, would probably be to set a custom WB. (see your manual). Basically, you take a test shot in the light (of a white or grey card), then use that image to set the custom.

Hey I`m pretty novice here, but i do shoot about 300-400 pics a week. for what its worth. I use a bulb like that. Its a daylight bulb so i set my camera to daylight. i have a canon eos 40d and it has loads of settings which i`m still learning so i do lots of test shots. i would suggest you do the same. check your shots on you camera back, if you can, after you shoot them you`ll get an idea if your in the ballpark or not and keep tweaking them.

Same as Big Mike - I use primarily Auto with a -1 compensation (think it adjusts approx another 50 kelvins warmer) except for indoors with flash when I switch to Flash with a -2 compensation. But I really have started using the WhiBal card and then batch set the photos taken in that setting. And another vote for RAW - shoot exclusively there as it just doesn't help white balance, but you have much more control/range with exposure, etc.

I leave in auto and just correct too, although I mostly shoot with a flash which gives everything a more neutral look anyways. If I'm shooting natural light with indoor bulbs, just shoot a custom WB off of any neutral or white object.

Ahhh...not to brag..ok, maybe a little...:mrgreen:

It's nice being able to set specific color temps in camera..

Hello,

cflrv3.jpg

Thanks!

That bulb is not 6400K so you are going to have some problems. It says right on it 3000K. You can buy Daylight bulbs that will be 5000K or 5500K and be close to your daylight camera settings and flash, but not spot on. Fluorescent as a setting on your camera is a big problem because Fluorescent bulbs come in all kinds of different color temperatures. Most are marked on the bulbs now, get matching bulbs.

Use AWB and fix it later or use the custom white balance that you can set inside the camera with a gray card or white sheet of paper.

I use 6400 K bulb. The bulb in imagine is not my bulb (I get the image from google images).

Hello,

Thanks!

Can you shoot in RAW? If you can, try one or two shots and adjust the WB to see what looks good. Then, the next time you use the camera, you'll know how to set it.

Most reactions

Back