White Christmas at Home - Critique me please!

hahaha well srry. but on my camera you cant turn off the flash in auto. so thats why i thoughth that.

welll now that u took em with manual, it shows you really ahve skill with the setting and are able to capture great color with out darkerning the picture.

number 1 is crooked, 2 boring, 3 is cluttered, 4 is your best shot, 5 is underexposed (which i know you were going for, but personally i dont like it).

O.K. here we go. It takes me awhile because if you are asking for anything constructive, I need some time to analyze. Some of my comments may have been mentioned, yet I typically do not like to piggy-back.

Shot #1:

It seems the subject of the picture is the wine glass. Just as in portraiture photography when the subject is obvious, the person you’re shooting, photographing inanimate objects require the same attention.

So, there are some things I would change. The second glass in the picture should be removed. The plate and knife in the foreground should be removed. Tighten up on the shot and so we get less window and less table (in foreground). Too often people believe pictures need to be in the 4:3 ratio size. Simply not true, compose for the correct shot, even if it is done post shooting.

The picture is too cool (I am referring to the color temperature). How would I adjust? I would change the temperature, in the RAW software, but that’s obvious and I think I have some more creative suggestions.

I would place two lights in the photo, both of the tungsten variety. The first is positioned on the wine glass to give it more character, I probably would use a candle. The second is placed between the table and the chest and aimed at the window and this can be as simple as a room lamp. The camera was fooled by the light in the window which is way cooler than normal because of the snow.

I would move the dish of food over and back a bit and try to use a larger aperture to get it just a bit out of focus. I realize this may not be possible due to lens limitations. I would still move the dish of food though. Always be aware of your composition.

Shot #2:

This is much easier than number one. I don’t mind the plate uneven to the horizontal, as a matter of fact, I like it. This is something I think you should try more often. Sticking to this shot I have only two suggestions.

First is your plane of focus. It looks as though you are trying to focus on the rim of the plate. It is not working for three possible reasons, or a combination there of. First is lens limitations. Most lenses, usually of the cheaper variety, will be in sharpest focus 1-2 stops from their maximum aperture. While you didn’t include the technical specifications, naughty, I looked at the EXIF data and see you are shooting at f/4.5. This may be the maximum aperture or 3.5 may be your maximum. Don’t know with out the specifications, again…naughty.

The second reason is your exposure time, 1/8 of a second. You may have been resting the camera on the table, which would make this irrelevant, but if handheld, this is too long.

While there are many factors effecting the focus and clarity of a picture, shutter speed is one of the biggest. A good rule to follow is the focus length rule. It’s quite simple. Never shoot below your focus length translated into time. So, shooting at 28mm, I would not shoot less then a shutter speed of 1/28 of a second (typically cameras go from 1/25 to 1/30 so I would choose the 1/30). Now we can break this rule by changing sensor sensitivity; increasing ISO, but don’t unless necessary.

You can also cheat by opening up the aperture, but you obviously are already doing that because of the desired shot.

The third reason is you are too close. You might be too close for the lens’s minimum focusing distance. With that said, I’d like to see the plane of focus fall at the end of the first 1/3 of the plate, not on the rim.

The second thought on the photo is color temperature again. In fact, all your photos are too cool.

Shot #3:

You nailed it on the glass. It needs to go. Also I would remove what is behind the salt and pepper shakers and the silver cake tray to the right of the statue. Otherwise, I think it’s a great shot, except make it warmer.

Shot #4:

This is by far the hardest for me. Compose the shot in your head first. I call this seeing through the lens before looking through the lens. Some things jump out at me. First is the printer to the left. It’s got to go. Move temporarily take some shots and put it back. Second is the dust on the monitor. Grab a rag and wipe it off. Third and finally is grandpa’s white socks. Cutting the picture off just above but leaving the chair in the shot would really improve this shot.

I am not so bothered by the reflection in the picture, but there are two things you can do to prevent this. First is a polarizer. This is no guarantee but it can stop reflections. Second it the point of view.

Moving down and to the left we would see grandpa’s eyes, remove reflection and stop the photo from being too flat. Moving up and to the right we can get grandson’s eyes (better picture) and do the same as mentioned just before.

Your focus is the teaching’s of grandfather to grandson. With that said, forget about the picture on the wall. If anything, it is distracting. Tighten up, move to the side, experiment with shot positioning, and most important take many!

Shots 5 and 6:

I really do like these. The only problem I have is color temperature. I hate to sound like a broken record, but they are too cool. Otherwise, I think they’re great.

All-in-all, for just getting a camera, you did a great job. Get comfortable with the controls. Get a better lens so you can stop shooting at ISO 400! But keep having fun.

-Nick

While I was writing it seems someone suggested your shots were not creative. I usually do not get involved in other's posts, but I will say this. How exactly is that helpful? You don't like the shots fine, say why. But say why in a way that will help. Boring, crooked, and cluttered is not very helpful.

Lastly, why on Gods green earth would you take shot 2 parallel to the horizontal? That's a mistake. That's like saying all horizon shots should be taken perfectly level. But the ones in the galleries that sell for the most are take from a side perspective and unleveled.

To Ypperin, creative does not mean you turn your camera off of automatic. Creative is seeing the world in a way that is different to how we normally see it.

-Nick

I honestly can't tell you how much I appreciate your input!! I can see exactly what you are talking about, and will also take your advice and cut back the number of shots I post in the future to make things a little more expedient :) Again thanks so much!

LOL if only!! With three kiddos there with me, one autistic and unable to tell his body temperature, and an 18 mos old, I'm afraid going out in -20 celcius was just not an option..... of course I did try to venture out yesterday and forgot the camera battery (DOH).

To be completely honest, I don't find anything interesting about snow for the most part. In fact, I find most pictures of "winter wonderland" type shots as well as all aspects of what you find around outside in the snow, mundane at best. Not that I don't appreciate the shots that others take out there, I've just been around it my whole life, so it's all a little meh to me LOL!

you may not like the winter wonderland shots but they are hard to expose correctly so you would learn a lot if you get out and shoot is there any sking near by for some action shots ?

Nick - I can't tell you just how much I appreciate your input in these! I can't wait to take the opportunity to put these pearls of wisdom into good use!

Gary - I'm afraid that skiing is just too far away in horrible road conditions to attempt, however, come May I will be shooting some football :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back