White "dods" to line up lens attachment

Blind Bruce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am visually impared as they say but still enjoy the challenges of photography. One problem I am having is lining up the white dots when I change lenses. I don't want to mess up a lens or its contacts so I usually just use the lens that is currently on the camera.
Question..... Is there a way to make the dots bigger or "bumpier" so I can feel where they are?
Many thanks for any ideas you may have.

Use white fingernail polish.

A few of my lenses have lens coats on them which tend to cover the dots for lining things up (And for some reason Canon only puts a dot on the outerside of the lens not the inside). So I've often held lens and camera together in roughly the right position and then slid the two till they join up. So long as you are careful you shouldn't damage anything by doing this.

Do it often and you should get a feel for roughly where on the lens the mounting points are. Familiarity I think will trump the dots.

However you could consider a bit of coloured sticky tape - thicker and larger to notice and will get you in roughly the right area

If you have a steady hand - or a friend with one - perhaps dropping a tiny bead of epoxy on the non-contact surface adjoining the dot.

(On the lenses and bodies I have the lenses do have raised dots from the manufacturer, the bodies have them but not so defined.)

That is one feature I really mis from my old Minolta Rokkor-X lenses, that big red indicator. I would look to glue something similar on the lens. The body position is not that much of a problem.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back