white herons

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by Red Spider, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Red Spider

Red Spider TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here's some white herons I saw on Lake Buistineau this weekend,they wouldn't let me get very close,so I had to just zoom in and hope for the best as I don't have a telephoto lens!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SleepingWolf

SleepingWolf No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    These look like White Egrets, no?

3. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ^^ Si

4. Red Spider

Red Spider TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No,egrets are much smaller.These are white herons,a much larger bird,cousin to the great blue heron.The smaller birds are young herons.

5. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wikipedia

I wasn't sure, so I had to look it up. BTW, I did enter White Heron on the search.

6. Red Spider

Red Spider TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Whatever,they're big white birds that hang out with the blue herons on the lake,which says to me that it must then be the blue heron in white morph,but even so,it's still a heron and still white,hence white heron.This is photography,not animal husbandry.It's the photo that's imortant,not what the species of bird is.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  7. SleepingWolf

SleepingWolf No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LOL. It's good practice to properly identify what you're photographing, because other people will be looking at your photos and comparing them to their own - for identification purposes. If it makes you happy to call it a heron, that's fine.

8. Red Spider

Red Spider TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't see how that helps anyone take a better picture.Just seems like someone trying to be a knit picking know-it-all to me.

9. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not trying to be nit picky at all. It's just that you titled this White Herons and I was unsure so I looked it up. There is a swamp on my property that is full of White Egrets and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't wrong. So what Wolf said is valid, people do use your descriptions for identification purposes.

To help take a better picture, IMO, the first three have a focus point on the ground in the middle of the image and the birds are far from being in focus.

#4 is your most interesting composition, but the water seems to be washed out. Perhaps some additional PP work will help.

The bird gets lost in #5.

I would suggest a different PoV and possibly a f-stop at the sweet spot of your lens.... somewhere in the f/8 to f/11 range. This should help to get the entire scene is focus. Then another tact is to zero in on one bird and have your aperture wider to help isolate it from the background, f/4 to f/6.1 or so.

Judging by the shadows, it appears that you were shooting near mid-day. Try early morning or late afternoon. Google "golden hours" of photography.

Hope that helps and it's just my 2ยข anyway.

10. Red Spider

Red Spider TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Now THAT'S a critique,thank you!The problem with the focus issues here is that these birds wouldn't let me get close enough for the camera I have.I was always 20 to 30 yards away,and even with the zoom all the way out,I still couldn't get a decent focus.I want to get a better one that I can get a telephoto lens for instead of having to rely simply on the zoom function in these situations. I don't know what PoV is or an f stop either,so I'm not sure what all that part means.And yes,I was shooting around mid day.I like shooting on days when it's very overcast as well,which it wasn't that day,that seems to make my pics turn out better too.

11. Red Spider

Red Spider TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This one,I think,turned out the best of any of the bird pics I took that day,and even it has a few issues itself.

[​IMG]

12. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit
    PoV = Point of View. By that, I meant all your shots were taken as if you are standing in the same place on a pier, dock or something and the angle is looking down on the birds. If possible, try to get down on their level, or even crawl on your belly like a reptile and shot up. It will give a completely different perspective. Also, by mixing up th PoV, the series won't be so *pardon me* boring to view.

f-stop is your aperture. I don't know what camera you have, but I'm guessing a Point & Shoot by your description of the zoom. To be honest, I am ignorant on them, but if you can set different shooting modes to Manual, Aperture Priority & Shutter Priority, this will open up your world of photography. You will have to read the manual to find out if you don't know yet.

While your in the manual, check to see how you can lock exposure and focus and then recompose for the final shot. This will help if you focused on the the first egret/heron (from your last post), but then recomposed to include all the birds to make a more intersting composition.

One final thought, a book like Understanding Exposure can be quite helpful in the early days and makes a good reference for when you slip back into old bad habits.

Keep shooting and keep posting, but most of all, have fun doing it.