White Sands NM

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'll be going to New Mexico at the end of the month for a one week trip with my wife and my dog. Taking along a bunch of camera stuff as well, I'm planning to shoot a lot of B/W at the white sands dunes near Alamogordo.

As a rule of the thumb I know that exposure should be 1 to 2 steps on the overexposed side but does anyone else recommend I use a different thumb or rule? :wink:

White sands and snow are probably hard to expose right for and as I don't have any snow here in AZ, or white sands for that matter, I thought I'd ask my friends at TPF.

Any thoughts?

Oh, BTW... as a funny happening, we didn't plan it this way, we'll be seeing the new movie "War of the Worlds" on June 29th (the day of release) while visiting Roswell NM. Talk about aliens and UFOs!!! :lol:

If you figure you want the dunes to be pretty high in the scale, then overexpose. I could gab for a week about the zone system and its accuracy but I will not do that to you. I would just either use only incident light readings or bring a %18 gray card with you and meter off of that.

Oh, my sister is in the air force and is stationed at alamagordo. it is the most boring place on the planet but as a photographer (like myself) you will be happy. good luck and have fun

Most reactions

Back