White spot problem on a night shot

GwHizzKid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was shooting at night and most of my pictures had a white dot in the sky. After noticing that in my pictures, I cleaned my lens and took more. However the white spot remained in most of my pictures. On the other hand, it was absent in other photos that night. This picture below has one in the right sky above the trees....could anyone tell me it is and how I can avoid it next time. Thanks....

DSC_0996.jpg

I would clean the sensor, not the lens. If you are leary of doing it yourself, have it done. But it is almost always the sensor that shows the dirt/dust. Second is the rear element, not the front.

thanks for the reply and input, but the white spot appeared randomly on my pictures. i took a lot of photos an hour before i took this and they appeared normal. could it possibly be the light reflecting on my lens?

Don't let that fool ya. Sensor dust won't show up or, be noticeable on every shot. It's appearance is far more prevalent on longer exposures. I don't make a habit of cleaning my sensor for one or two specks of dust that show up occasionally, I just clone them out. In fact I havn't cleaned my sensor as yet because it has not gotten any worse and isn't something which I want to risk doing if I don't need to. But if it bugs ya....have it cleaned or learn how to do it yourself.

looks like its the light glaring or reflecting off the lens to me.
same basic shape as the closest light to the camera.

or an alien ship. lol.

I agree...I think it's an alien ship

or lens flare from the street lights

Don't let that fool ya. Sensor dust won't show up or, be noticeable on every shot. It's appearance is far more prevalent on longer exposures.

Different apertures make a difference too.

However, considering the angle of the white spot (seems like the continuation of the glare from the first lamp post), and the fact that it didn't appear in other pictures, I agree this is most likely lens glare.

thanks everyone, yeah I asked one of my friends and he said lens glare too...I thought it was lens glare but im still a noobie and had to make sure.

Most reactions

Back