Whitney

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by ryan7783, Jun 23, 2008.

1. ryan7783

ryan7783 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I took some photos of Whitney because she wanted some for her fiance and I wanted the practice.

C&C welcome

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    C&C:
    This looks like a potentially really nice group of images which are almost, but not quite there.
    1,2: Both give the appearance [to me] of someone who is cramped and uncomfortable; she does not look happy. The highlights on her left side are somewhat distracting. I think a diffuser over the rear window of the car would have helped.
    3. Starkly contrasting shadows and highlights, and esp. the blown highlights behind her are issues. As well, I'm not fond of the expression; she appears to expecting something to fall on her.
    4. Extreme issues with highlights and shadows in this one, but the pos is nicer.
    5. Nice pose, at least one stop under in her face/chest area, still suffereing with the highlights behind her, and a colour-caste issue. Did you change your WB?
    6. The composition of this one doesn't work; the long lines of the wall on the left take your eye right past the subject and out of the image; this could solved with a crop. Her hair could be lighter by at least a half-stop.
    7, 8. Nice composition, but the exposure/WB in these two aren't qutie right.
    9. The pose in this is very awkward. She seems very uncomfortable, particularily with the positioning of her left leg.
    The main issue from my perspective, is one of exposure. I am guessing that you took these images using just your camera? Unfortunately, the bright sun wasn't your friend. Diffusers, reflectors and fill light would have made some of these images killer!

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary!

3. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Theres a Mount Whitney joke in here. . .

#1 and #2 are aces. If you're into that sorta thing, I wo uld clone that stuff out on the car seat floor. I mean if they were underwear, sure leave it, but doesn't look like underwear to me.

#2 is just cute, smokey mysterious quality to it. Dig it. #3 and #4 definitely have highlight issues. . .but they aren't the strongest comp wise anyway, so no lose on your end. #5 as well, but I think the colors make up for it. And the highlights arent so concentrated about her that it throws her off.

The last bunch have a bit of red going on, but it doesn't kill it to me. I'd see what PS Auto-Color says, and see if that improves the image, but I kind of like them as is.

Good job here mate!

4. MelodySoul

MelodySoul TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really like 1,2,7 & 9. I do think the pose is slightly awkward in #9 but otherwise it's great. Good work!

5. ryan7783

ryan7783 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks everyone for both your good feedback and your constructive criticism. I'm going to try to play with my reflector in my next session and see what happens although I really like all of these. Whitney said she is very happy with all of them save for a few where her hair is a bit flat. Her fiance is also very pleased with them

I have an engagement shoot coming up next month so hopefully I can get in some more practice before then.

6. SrBiscuit

SrBiscuit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    im diggin number 4.
    i may be way off base here, but i dont think the blowouts/highlights are a negative here...i love the pose, and the colors. the extreme whites don't distract me. good feeling from #4.
    i think it's a badass pic.
    best of the bunch IMO.

biscuit

7. ryan7783

ryan7783 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    my sentiments exactly. i know traditionally that blown highlights can be an issue but i don't mind it in any of these photos. i think it adds to the feel.

and its funny that you say #4 is a badass picture, whitney's fiance said the exact same thing... "you look badass"

btw Whitney is my sister

8. bblaine

bblaine TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i would do something to the whites in her eyes in 3,5 and 7

9. ryan7783

ryan7783 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    such as?

10. AverageJoe

AverageJoe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The top photos instantly reminded me of this album cover:

[​IMG]
    Great shots.

11. bblaine

bblaine TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i don't know how to fix them but they are a little bloodshot it looks like.