Who all is sick of HDR?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by William, Apr 24, 2007.

1. William

William TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I mean come on, way too many of the pics on here are now HDR. I just don't see why? I love the look on some pics, and HDR has its place, but I think people are kind of ruining the effect by using it on so many images. HDR should be used in tricky situations when you can't reveal everything in detail with a single exposure, but that is IT. Does anyone agree with me?

2. RVsForFun

RVsForFun TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Could some images be shot in a single exposure with better exposure/highlight control? Sure. HDR is an easy way to extend your apparent dynamic range so it's here to stay. I'd say put your passions into the RAW vs. JPEG debate, you'll find more on each side to talk to!

3. William

William TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Haha, I don't care about RAW and JPEG. I use both. I know its here to stay and I'm glad, but people, why use it so much.

We all know HDR has a very distinct effect so why wear it out so soon?

At This Rate
    If it is here to stay: We're all going to get sick of it but... be stuck with it.
    Otherwise, It will be come so generic that its not worth denoting in your title.....ex: "I had a gr8 wknd shooting Nikon! **HDR** 56k nono!"

4. DRodgers

DRodgers TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't mind it so much its just another medium to show images in but I find it hard to tell if its HDR , so I think anyone who uses it should post that its HDR ..

5. William

William TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    But my point is that if so many people start shooting HDR regularly, it will be more common to put **not HDR** in a title than ***HDRxor!!!**

6. ashfordphoto

ashfordphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't mind how often it is used, but rather HOW it is used. The best HDR is when you don't know that it's been done. Once it starts looking fake and like plastic - - then it's overused in my book.

7. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To me HDR should be like make-up ... just enough to enhance .... but not enough to distract.

Photography is communications. Most of the HDRs I view say "HEY I'M AN HDR IMAGE. Look at all the unreal high values and all the unreal detail in the shadows ... some pretty fancy post processing done here ... let me tell you ... yessiree" ... a truly great photo won't have to say a single word ... it will pull you into the image .... hold you there ... interact with your emotions ... and at some level of thought you think ... "I wish I had taken that shot."

The bottom line is I don't mind if it's HDR, as long as its good HDR ... and a good HDR is one that doesn't look like HDR. Maybe we should have an HDR gallery ... or a Non-HDR Gallery (lol).

Gary

8. hazelwestphoto

hazelwestphoto TPF Noob!

I like HDR when it's done correctly. A lot of people think they're doing it right, but they're not.

9. William

William TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Seefutlung I couldn't agree with you more. I couldn't have said it better myself.

10. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    LOL a Nikonian and a Canonite have agreed on something.

Gary

11. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think it looks really cool. As it has been discussed before, it might just be a fad, like oversaturation was for a while. I think it looks neat if done right. Sadly, there are pics that I can't even tell are HDR, that is where I think it is either: A) done wrong for the desired effect. or B) done so well, it acts only as a tonal balancer.

12. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So what is "just enough"? Who decides?

Is just enough make-up that which you can see and you think is tastefull? Well then how much is "just enough" make-up to a high intensity fashion designer who wants bold colors and flawless skin? Obviously that is going to be over the top for you, but it doesn't make it wrong.

This is another of those never ending debates. Art is in the eye of the beholder. HDR can be used for both tonal enhancements and creativity. I enjoy processing my HDR's "over the top" most of the time. And I feel that I am achieving my goal. Because it's the look that I, as the artist, am trying to achieve. So it's successful regardless of what anyone else thinks.

I also don't see the point in labeling something as HDR? Why? Do you label every color shot "Color" and every black & white "b/w"? When I first started posting my HDR work, I would put HDR in the title. It seemed like people just flocked to it. But not for the art, to see the HDR effect. That isn't what I was after. I want them to take in the entire piece and decide for themselves if they like the overall image or not.

All of the images below are HDR's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For me, it's not just "a look"...it's a style. When I display my work, people are more interested in the HDR work than anything else. This is right in line with IR. There are so many companies doing IR conversions now, that anyone can shoot it. But how many people can make it their own...make their work stand out in a crowd? No matter how you look at it, it's still photography ;)