who are the best photographers of 20th century?

Alex_B said:
as we can see here, there is no definite list of the best 20 ... there were many good and outstanding ones, each of the the best or one of the best for his/her type of photography/subjects. you can certainly make a list with 100 extremely good photographers/photoartists, but to say 20 of them are the best will always be very much subject to personal taste.
Exactly. The said names are giants in their respective areas.
All we need now is a set of darts.

I would add:

Gordon Parks
Joel Peter Witkin
Joel Meyerowitz
Andre Kertesz
Paul Strand
Jerry Uelsmann
Sally Mann
Jan Sudek
Jock Sturges

Difficult to say who is the best. I respect many photographers for different reasons.

Galen Rowell
Joseph & David Muench
Barry Goldwater

I vote for Henri Cartier-Bresson. Steve McCurry, too.

oh my god... almost 50!

craig said:
Anyway. I do not envy your multimedia presentation. That is a lot of ground to cover. Of course the presentation goes much deeper than a popularity contest. All the photographers on the list represent photography in the 20th Century. As a matter of fact you could probably throw 15 darts at the list and still come out with a comprehensive display of work. As always the main thing will be the photographs and your text.

I was thinking about an aplication with different sections. I have few time to do it so I cant talk about 100 photohraphers. I ll make a small section where I ll write personal texts for 15/20 photographers and make a small photo gallery for each one. Then I ll make a huge gallery with photos of the other photographers that i havent talk on the small section... and a text about photography, a text about Ludwig Museum of Cologne... ;)

Alex_B said:
as we can see here, there is no definite list of the best 20 ... there were many good and outstanding ones, each of the the best or one of the best for his/her type of photography/subjects. you can certainly make a list with 100 extremely good photographers/photoartists, but to say 20 of them are the best will always be very much subject to personal taste.

I know that you are right and maybe I did the wrong question, but i think u can understand what I have to do too.. :wink:

List Updated!

I don't see Lewis Hine anywhere on this page. Well he is now. :) Also I'm thinking the FSA's photogs should be represented... Lange and Evans maybe.

maplethorpe- he has some uhh risque stuff but his flowers are awesome :p

Most reactions

Back