Who are your influencies?

Photo Princess

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As a beginning photographer, I often visit professional photographers' websites to inspire from their works and learn something new. Some of the PROs whose works I admire are Matt Stuart, Vincent Laforet and Michael DiDonna.

I'm curious who are your influences, or photographers whose art you admire? :D

i like susan burnstein but i cant say i find her work inspiring. i mean i like it but is just not me! i usually dont do this... maybe i should give it a try!

Art Wolfe, Ansel Adams & Helen Levitt

Wyatt Earp, and yes I'm serious. I have no artistic influences, but otherwise... Wyatt Earp.

I dunno.. I like to look at a lot of other photographers' work, but when i'm out shooting, I don't think about it, I just shoot what I like.

Keith Carter is probably my biggest. I don't shoot a lot of film anymore but it was what i got started in photography on. I don't necessarily try to mimic his work or anything but i aspire to take shots that are as beautiful in their use of light and composition someday. I went to a lecture he did and was totally blown away...he is super down to earth and of course, incredibally talented.
www.keithcarterphotographs.com

I haven't look at the "famous people".
I am trying to find my own voice.

I haven't look at the "famous people".
I am trying to find my own voice.

+1 Same here. I need to develop my own style instead of having some of my pictures being seen as "influenced". <-- I know it was worded awkwardly.

I guess my uncle (Scott Fishman) because he's somewhat of a mentor and makes his living off of his photography.

i think it's great to find your own voice, I will say that I think everyone does so in a different way. For me looking at beautiful images and then either researching to find out or experimenting to find out how the photographer created those images helps me to have a better understanding of the art as a whole. For example, knowing that keither carter shoots only medium format film and uses some really interesting glass to create some of the really odd focal points he does. I compare it to learning to play music. very few people pick up a guitar and start composing their own songs. Most learn to play by replicating the songs of others and eventually they have enough of an understanding of their instrument to create their own music, for some people this happens relatively soon, and some people take a lot longer, and a few, of course, never write their own music.

When I was starting out I was pretty heavily influenced by some local photographers. But to tell you the truth, lately I don't look at much photography, except on here some times.

Instead, I usually find my influence from music or film makers. If I had to list some of those I'd probably say Gus Van Sant (director), Darren Aronofsky (director), David Fincher (Director), Iron & Wine (Band), Ben Folds (Band), Beirut (Band), Neutral Milk Hotel (Band). I'm sure there are more, but those are just what came to mind quickly.

Wyatt Earp, and yes I'm serious. I have no artistic influences, but otherwise... Wyatt Earp.

Haha... Yeah, Wyatt Earp is pretty cool.

When I got started in photography, I don't think I would have been able to name a single photographer. Even now, I don't pay that much attention to it.
I've always liked good photography - I just rarely knew who took the picture...

Man Ray, Christopher Makos, William Burroughs, were the ones who got me interested in photography as an art. But, I am not an artist or photographer yet; just a newbie. :mrgreen:

I have many. I have found that looking at many good photographs rubs off ... not always in a way that is obvious. Over the years I've enjoyed Ansel Adams, Paul Caponigro, The Westons (Edward, Brett, Cole), Man Ray, Robert Capa, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Weegee, Imogen Cunningham to name only a very few for starters ...

Most reactions

Back