Who are your influencies?

tharmsen is influencing me to want to start taking pictures of people. Which I never liked. Well, more formal pictures of people anyway. That don't suck. The only thing I ever got paid for was taking pictures of people.

people who've made it to Flickr EXPLORE :-$

What do you mean?

...I don't understand.

Do you mean that you admire the people on Flickr...?
(Anybody can join flickr...)

people who've made it to Flickr EXPLORE :-$

What do you mean?

...I don't understand.

Do you mean that you admire the people on Flickr...?
(Anybody can join flickr...)

lol ... it was a joke.
but usually people who's pictures make it on Explore mostly have GREAT shots.

Oh... Is "Explore" a group on Flickr? ...I don't think I've seen it.

if you have a Flickr account then login and there's a option to explore the EXPLORED pictures ... these pictures are chosen on the bases of "interestingness" according to what Flickr says. These usually are the BEST pictures of that day/month/year etc. Most of these same pictures are also on Flickr's main page (before you login).

i think it's great to find your own voice, I will say that I think everyone does so in a different way. For me looking at beautiful images and then either researching to find out or experimenting to find out how the photographer created those images helps me to have a better understanding of the art as a whole. For example, knowing that keither carter shoots only medium format film and uses some really interesting glass to create some of the really odd focal points he does. I compare it to learning to play music. very few people pick up a guitar and start composing their own songs. Most learn to play by replicating the songs of others and eventually they have enough of an understanding of their instrument to create their own music, for some people this happens relatively soon, and some people take a lot longer, and a few, of course, never write their own music.

:thumbup: I absolutely agree with that. A lot of artists I know started by imitating someone, developing their own styles as they worked. It's a great way to learn and I don't see anything wrong with it.

My earliest influences were Robert Capa and Henri-Cartier Bresson and my parents still "blame" them for my taking off for Vietnam when I was 17. Since this is a small world, I ended up as a Magnum photographer. Years after I left the war business and Magnum I found out that I had something in common with a third of the founding photographers, George Rodger. We quit for the same basic reason: "getting the dead into nice photographic compositions" had just become too weird.

I also loved Diane Arbus and Brassai for their street photography.

And then, for their documentary photography, there were Dorothea Lange and, especially, Leo Matiz whom I had the pleasure to meet when working in S. America. I had loved Lange's photos but meeting and talking with Matiz was incredibly influential on the rest of my life. I still feel his influence today, although not in photography but in my paintings.

I like the work of my high school school Photo teacher. His name was Mr. plomell. Altough all that stuff was done in b&w film. AWSOME!

well yeah i have to admit tharmsen is influencing me too... every time he posts something i check it out as usually it is great stuff.

I dunno.. I like to look at a lot of other photographers' work, but when i'm out shooting, I don't think about it, I just shoot what I like.

I agree. I like to look at other photographers work, but I just do my own thing.
One of my favorites though is Becca Cusworth. I believe she lives in Scotland. She does some very nice landscapes, and her work is very good all around. Here is a link to her website.

Becca Cusworth Photography

I think my biggest influence is my pops who gave me my first SLR. I would look at the pictures he placed of my brother's and I in albums as a kid and I would try to mimic his pictures when i would shoot. That's how I learned.

After that who knows...I think it takes the world to raise a photographer.

camz
Simply Dashy Photography

I try to look at (and analyse) as many photos done by professionals, or just very talented artists, as I possibly can. That hardly influences me into copying their styles; it usually just gets me really thinking about the why of photography. What's the goal? What did they say? How did they accomplish it. Recently the work of Anthony Hernandez inspired me to go out and shoot something similar to his Public Transit series. Just looking at his images in the gallery, I realized the technique he used to capture his shots; aperture smaller than a pinhead, shutter nice and slow. That got me thinking and I came-up with my own ideas of how to apply a similar exposure time to say something more unique.

Look at 10,000 images (and I mean look). You'll be a better photographer for it, guaranteed.

Personally, right now, I spend more time looking at images than I do taking them.

Michael Kenna. Great yet simple compositions. A master in the darkroom. Brilliant photographer. I cannot really say he's influenced my photography but I definitely admire his work.

Most reactions

Back