Who called 911? Where is the fire? (photo overload) (13 pics)

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A little scene for Tyson and our other firemen on board that I witnessed while in New York last year in April upon coming back to the hotel from the restaurant where we'd had dinner - our hotel was two corners down from where this all happened - and in the end no one could see any fire at all. But they were out there with I don't know how many fire trucks!

All I could do in passing was take out the Powershot and snap away, handholding it only, so some are pretty bad, forgive me.

0340a_4Apr_Feuerwehreinsatz.jpg

0340b_4Apr_Feuerwehreinsatz.jpg

0340c_4Apr_Feuerwehreinsatz.jpg

The fire was supposed to be in the building with the gym in first floor but no one ever bothered to vacate the gym and those who were there did not even interrupt their exercise...

0340d_4Apr_Feuerwehreinsatz.jpg

0340e_4Apr_Feuerwehreinsatz.jpg

Some briefing going on (I suppose)

0340f_4Apr_Feuerwehreinsatz.jpg

Then some went upstairs in search of the fire ... but we passers-by could not even see any smoke anywhere, or smell anything, for that matter

0340g_4Apr_Feuerwehreinsatz.jpg

More firetrucks in the street

0340h_4Apr_Feuerwehreinsatz.jpg

0340i_4Apr_Feuerwehreinsatz.jpg

A view back and study of reflections in the firetruck

0340k_4Apr_Feuerwehreinsatz.jpg

Here you must imagine us having walked on - now looking back to the building with the gym in first floor

0340l_4Apr_Feuerwehreinsatz.jpg

0340m_4Apr_Feuerwehreinsatz.jpg

0340n_4Apr_Feuerwehreinsatz.jpg

And more trucks even round the next corner.

I thought that was quite spectacular!

Hey, thank you so, Duncan.
It was a rush thing ... like about every photo I took while in New York and in Washington, respectively, Andreas and I were ALWAYS going somewhere, and he always urged me on! ;)

Wow, that's quite the response by the fire department. I really got the feeling, through your pics, that I was there and feeling the adrenaline pumping through my veins. Good job!

When someone pulls the fire alarm, handle, it triggers a response electronically from the fire department. Some drunken sports-watching person probably did that.

Many of those fire alarm handles spray a UV dye on the hand of the person who pulls the alarm, so if it is a false alarm, the fire department can find that person if they just run everyone's hands through a scanner really quick.

It could also be triggered if some idiot was smoking in the bathroom, or if someone reports a natural gas smell.

NY Fire doesn't mess around. They get more equipment and manpower on a first alarm than most of us do on a 2nd. Good shots.

Thank you for posting the nice photos, for a power shot it did real well. The NYFD sure does know how to make a scene don't they. Where in New York were you? I thought Rescue 1 got crushed at the WTC.

Hey those are great.We have had two big fires the last 2 days and I have been working both and got to take no pictures,what a bummer:grumpy: .See alot of other people snapping away though and I was on the front page this morning,but you would never know with all the gear on we all look the same.

Yay :cheer: for your lovely comments.
I've had these photos for 3/4 of a year now and never deemed them worth a post, but then I saw there are some firefighters on here and thought you might find them interesting, after all (?)

We had a hotel in the Upper West Side, Tyson, 80th Street. Quite a pleasant area to stay. The scene was on the corner of Broadway/80thWest.

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/Mravid/Fire/

Here are few I took in Irving Texas a year or so ago. Unfortuantly, this one did have visable flames.
The typical grease fire at breakfast time that got out of control.
This particular building only had 4 apartments...so they number of families left homeless was minimized.....though...4 is 4 too many.

Good of me to have waited with these until you came, Tyson, eh? ;)

And whoa, that does not look good, Mr Avid. Actually, I am glad there only were these spectacularly many firetrucks out there and the firefighters in all their gear, but no fire!

It reminds me of an advertisement I saw lately. The same style of apartment buildings and the same type of trucks. For the experience you had, I imagine the fire department in NYC wouldn't take lightly any kind of alarm. Good you had a safe trip.

That trip was absolutely safe, I never felt unsafe in NYC ever, not even when I photographed that drug deal in Queens (echem ...) - only my husband's blood pressure then must have gone high, he got all upset with me (and I with him in reply, heehee) - I'd love to go back any day!

Most reactions

Back