Who can see private messages?

mmaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Who can see private messages? admin, some of the mods, none of them? are they really private?

Not that I have something to hide ... hm... I'm just curious about it...

...and I'm having some troubles loading tpf in the past few days. Even now, I had to reload page in order to get Submit new thread button.. and one more thing since I'm here... Could you fix that log out button when tpf is viewed on mobile! there's no Log out option viewing tpf regularly on the phone. I have to change styles and I don't like mobile style

There, I said it!

but then again... it could be just me...

anyway, I would appreciate feedback :lovey:

I hope so.

I send quite a few nudes on request.

All the mods can see...and boy do we all get a chuckle out of them!

Don't be hasty.

At least take me to dinner first.
can your fiance join us? we can see is Mishele available also... the more the merrier ;)

All the mods can see...and boy do we all get a chuckle out of them!
hey... now I know you're lying... my messages would make you do some other things not chuckle. well, at least majority of them wouldn't :sexywink:

Mods cannot see private messages at all.

Admin I think can see them, BUT it requires going in through the back door of the code - its basically not easy from what I understand (and any admin doing it would be caught by the others).

So to all intents and purposes your messages are private; however all mods and admin do see a private message IF its reported by the receiver. At that point it functions just like a reported thread (the report button is even in the same place as on a thread).

This is why if you get any malicious or troublesome private messages the only way to get mods to deal with them is to report them.

Admin I think can see them, BUT it requires going in through the back door of the code - its basically not easy from what I understand (and any admin doing it would be caught by the others).

So to all intents and purposes your messages are private; however all mods and admin do see a private message IF its reported by the receiver. At that point it functions just like a reported thread (the report button is even in the same place as on a thread).
This is why if you get any malicious or troublesome private messages the only way to get mods to deal with them is to report them.

Let's say, I believe that you can't see them ;)

I didn't know about reporting private messages... It would be useful to me earlier if I had known that.

thanks for answering my question!

......however all mods and admin do see a private message IF its reported by the receiver. .........

Or is posted by either the sender or recipient on the forum.

In an unmodified version of vb 4.2 there is no easy way to see private messages without doing a database search unless as stated the message is reported. That being said a VB mod can easily be added in in a few minuets that allows staff by user rights to view all messages or messages by a certain user in one click.

yup...mods/users/etc can't see them, I don't believe admins can either, they can delete your PM inbox though if really needed, but if they can access and read the pms specifically its some very very back door round-about way of doing it that I've never been aware of, or needed to (I own and mod on several VB sites so this is just speaking from my own experiences, not necessarily specific to TPF, but it should be accurate unless tpf has some special add-on setup in the VB code, but I don't believe they would have any reason to, or if it is even anything that is possible, there are a lot of third party add-ons out there for VB, I've never heard of one that gives anyone PM access like that)....however if a PM is reported/flagged by the recipient, it does show up to the admins/mods so they can take appropriate action (banning spammers, discipline abuse/etc). but only the specific message that was flagged will be visible to them.

however VISITOR messages are visible to everyone, I'm not sure if visitor messages are enabled here on TPF, but if you're on a VB forum with that option, those will be visible to everyone who looks at the user profile of the message recipient.

In an unmodified version of vb 4.2 there is no easy way to see private messages without doing a database search unless as stated the message is reported. That being said a VB mod can easily be added in in a few minuets that allows staff by user rights to view all messages or messages by a certain user in one click.

hey... I'm actually enjoying this vocabulary today... by chance my today was really all about websites and admins and codes and such :)

Most reactions

Back