Who can see private messages?

one more question while I'm still here... if I chose my online status as invisible, who knows that I'm online? f.e. can mods see what thread I'm looking at?

Depends on if their user rights allow them to set by the admin. Single users or user groups can be set with different permissions and can very widely from forum to forum depending on how they are set up. I'm sure a mod here can answer that for this specific board.

But you can click here to see what everyone is doing
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/online.php

Depends on if their user rights allow them to set by the admin. Single users or user groups can be set with different permissions and can very widely from forum to forum depending on how they are set up. I'm sure a mode here can answer that for this specific board.

But you can click here to see what everyone is doing
Who's Online - Photography Forum & Digital Photography Forum
I clicked Like when just underlined was in your post :)

and I didn't know about the link you posted, about what everyone is doing .. It's weird.... I won't go there any more, it feels like sneaking on someone :)

lol, would you like me to refund you like?

hey... I've just noticed that you can see on that link who is doing private messages at the moment lol

lol, would you like me to refund you like?
no, it was deserved... I don't do Like when I don't really mean it, even if it was just for a half of the post :)

you helped me, thanks

and that was funny, so another Like from me ;)

Though you were not going there anymore?

Though you were not going there anymore?
lol!!! I had it opened in another tab... I just glanced a bit more so I know what I won't be looking at anymore :mrgreen: and I only went to see what am I doing at the moment :wink:

one more question while I'm still here... if I chose my online status as invisible, who knows that I'm online? f.e. can mods see what thread I'm looking at?

Mods and admins will see that you're online; your name shows up on the Who's Online list, with an asterisk next to it. We can also see what thread you're viewing should we scroll through the Online list.

There is a back way into all of it, of course, as has already been mentioned - should there be any legal reason or special need to access this info via the server. But generally speaking, we have no reason to access PM's or see who is talking to whom. No worries. :)

If you asked for the forum php developers .......... any forum software, to develop software to enable reading PM's to be added as a modification, you would be smashed against a wall, then thrown on the floor and kicked to death, then finally they would burn what was left and scatter your ashes down a sewer pipe !!! End of story. Get the picture ;)

With access to the server its possible within the database, not easy to read and follow and especially not on a forum this size with the amount of posts and PM's they would get in the database. Possible, but a very messy read. Not many would have that access anyway. No one would bother unless something drastic happened within certain PM's that were not reported.

Rest in peace and trust me, we are not that interesting to warrant the bother :)

Danny.

All the mods can see...and boy do we all get a chuckle out of them!
and you guys post them in the paid section ...
you guys really need to put a warning sign on that thread :biglaugh:

It is a little known fact that, if you make your online status as invisible, you could Skype me while you are nude, have a video conference and I wouldn't know.
Don't believe me?
Just try it.

If it's on a publicly available system (online) it is possible for anyone with the determination to see them. They will have to develop some skills and obtain some tools, but it's possible.

If you asked for the forum php developers .......... any forum software, to develop software to enable reading PM's to be added as a modification, you would be smashed against a wall, then thrown on the floor and kicked to death, then finally they would burn what was left and scatter your ashes down a sewer pipe !!! End of story. Get the picture ;)
Unfortunately, this is not correct. Almost all forum software has either free/paid add-ons or a feature built into the system that allows administrators access to PMs. I have argued against this several times on various support forums for webmasters and forum software support, but there are those who believe it needs to be done. Some believe there are legitimate reasons (the only legit reason in my mind is a court order), others are just paranoid - yes, there are some admins who are nosy.

I feel comfortable here and don't worry that the power's that be will be rooting around in my personal messages. They seem to have better things to do.

Jim

Most reactions

New Topics

Back