Who makes a living out of photography

For me, I majored in computer science...moved to dc...got lucky with a salaried job requiring advanced computer skills and photography experience.

Most of my day is spent taking pictures of dignitaries and celebrities...can't complain about that. The computer stuff is a nice change up as well.

MY advice: get a degree first

I make a living in spite of photography.

......Photography for me is a hobby, I do it because I like to do it. :) I like the freedom to shoot what I want and when I want. If someone wants to pay me for a photo that's great because it might help me fund the hobby.

:thumbup:

Just about what I was going to say. So many people ask me if I shoot professionally. I always say not really. Every time, the response is, "well do you get paid for your pictures..." Yes...."well you shoot professionally.

I would hate to consider that I shoot professionally (meaing I would be making a living out of it) because just like George said, it's a hobby. When you take a hobby and turn it into something you get paid for (working for a company, shooting FOR someone) then it just all changes and it's not fun anymore.

I fly radio controlled planes and there are sponsored pilots. (Just bear with me....I'm going somewhere with this.) These sponsored pilots, I would consider the photographers who shoot (fly) for a company. They are tied down to only flying one brand or radio, one manufacturer of plane. This would be the company photographer who can do nothing but make sure they get the shot to make the company happy. Now if you're working for yourself, it might be a little bit easier, but I hope you catch my drift.

Sorry, little bit more than I wanted to type, but you get the idea.

~Michael~

Who makes a living out of photography

The guys who take a $20 or less bit of machined metal and/or molded plastic and sell it for $150+ as a professional bracket/mount/whatever.

Prime example: http://www.adorama.com/JDFBSM2.html

Grab some $3.00 piece of junk you've jury-rigged to do something camera related, take it to a local machine shop and ask them to turn it out in aluminum, in bulk. Anodize it black, charge way too much, and market the heck out of it.

many claimed that a photo blog or website can be good living, alongside with other ares in the internet marketing too. but tha's just them

I've made somewhat of a living, im going into my last year of school but so far i've done quite a few random jobs that have paid the bills

I sell my photos as stock and I also sell prints of my photos too.

So, who can explain to me how to become a photojournalist?

I have always dreamed of being one. Traveling the world and taking photographs in exotic places and warzones has always seemed romantic to me.

What path do I take?

I have always dreamed of being one. Traveling the world and taking photographs in exotic places and warzones has always seemed romantic to me.

What path do I take?

1st... Write your will. War photographers are usually seen as fair game by both sides. Spot of easy target practice soldier? Aim, fire, splat!

2nd... You need to get some experience of photographing local conflicts with a local newspaper. You don't need to work for the paper - you could freelance BUT freelance rates suck for newspapers unless you work for a bureau.

3rd... Get in with a news bureau that's in the thick of it - Reuters etc.

1st... Write your will. War photographers are usually seen as fair game by both sides. Spot of easy target practice soldier? Aim, fire, splat!

2nd... You need to get some experience of photographing local conflicts with a local newspaper. You don't need to work for the paper - you could freelance BUT freelance rates suck for newspapers unless you work for a bureau.

3rd... Get in with a news bureau that's in the thick of it - Reuters etc.

Thanks for the advice, yeah I know about the fair game aspect, but we all have to die sometime, eh?

I think I am off to a good start contacting the local paper and getting freelance info. Now I just need to hunt down some newsworthy photo's.

Hi Penfold1

Well, as for being romantic I would have to say no. However, it is a rush. Although I've not been in a war zone, I've been under fire. And I have been to exotic locations as a photojournalist. When I was younger I used to think I can't believe they're paying me to do this!

As for Iraq and Afghanistan, I know a few people who've been there and it's no picnic. There are no "good guys". Just walking out the door of your hotel can be a deadly experience, not to mention the chance of being kidnapped. Most of the pjs over there are not allowed to do much of anything due to the dangers involved.

As for how to become a pj, it a hard road to follow. You need to be dedicated, independantly wealthy :mrgreen: and willing to work long hours.

I started in college with the university's "photo services" which lead me to a part-time job with the local newspaper, that lead to a full-time job with the same newspaper. After a few years there, I moved to Los Angeles and began freelancing for the L.A. Times, O.C. Register and AP. I ended up taking a photo editor job with AP followed by a photo editor job with my current paper. In between all that, I was chief photographer for the Pacific Daily News in Guam and did some commerical freelancing in Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Now I'm about to begin working as a photog one day a week at the paper along with photo editing. Oh, by the way, did I mention that I started all this back in 1976?

Personally, if I was to begin my career in pj now, I would probably go video. There's darned few jobs available as a still photojournalist these days and they are becoming fewer as the months go on. I foresee in about 5-10 years, all newspapers of any size will be using hi-def digital video cameras and just frame grab for their print product while using the video for their websites.

Good luck to you and I hope you realize your goals, but remember that most pjs today do alot of photo ops and very few of those are "romantic".

Jerry

I do. I work about 30 hrs a week for the local paper(as an employee, not freelance), and during the summer/fall school season I work for a studio that has the contracts for ID/yearbook/sports photos for a ton of schools.

i certainly don't make a living at shooting, but i guess deep down i want to at some point.

so i am already trying to force myself to not give away my product/service. with that idea, i am working with friends to help build my portfolio. but, it's not for free. they are getting a good deal and i am getting a portfolio. as my portfolio grows and my skills progress, my prices will increase.

i know you shouldn't give anything away at a 'good deal' because it dilutes the perceived value, but i feel like it's better than getting nothing for the chance to practice on real people. basically, it is covering my cost to process and print and lens rentals (if i rent one for the shoot). i have been doing this only for a few months but working to build a business from the start.

it is a fun hobby, but it is also a fun way to make a living.

after researching the pricing in the area i was stunned to see how many photographers (wedding in particular) just give away a disc full of hi-res images for ~$1200 a pop. i don't want to get into that line of business - and won't. it just doesn't seem like it is worth the time.

i recently shot my first wedding for friends and it is a lot of work! i'm sure it will get easier as i build effeciencies into my workflow, but still, it takes time and skill to produce a quality product. i'm not about to just give it away for a sliver of a profit. my time is too valuable.

thanks to all who provide their advice and inputs here. it is a real value to those trying to learn the ins and outs of the landscape.

What path do I take?

Do you really want to know? I used to be one of those guys you described. PM me and I can help separate the realty from the dream. (I helped a dude in Texas with his portfolio/string book) he got a job working in news.

Gary

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back