Who makes your lenses?

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got up this morning wondering what lenses people use and recomend? I've seen lots of hype about various lenses in reviews, one magazine even said they are suggesting an inferior digital video camera becuase of it's use of Lecia lenses over Carl-Zeiss lenses. I guess you can tell they recomended a panasonic over a sony :D

I have experiences with 4 lenses from different manufacturers, 1 in my olympus digital camera, 3 others from the Nikon FE I inherited from my parents (1 good the others not so hot after market lenses). So I'll get the ball rolling.

Olympus 5.9-59mm f2.8.
This lense is on my Digital camera. The Olympus C-730. I find it's very clear for taking macro, closeups, and midrange shots but fails a bit for long distances. It's also got a few issues when it's at full zoom. I'm not sure if this is the fault of the camera or the lens but when zoomed to to 59mm the shots appear to be a bit out of focus. But then again the camera is not exactly top of the line either.

Tokina 28-70mm f4.
The main lens I use with my camera. I'm not sure where Tokina rate amongst lenses but it seems to do the job. The main reason I use it is because of the 28-70mm range which is great for landscape and general purpose shots. It's pretty clear although I find the markings on the outside of the lens don't really relfect the actual focus of the lense (except for the infinte distance focus). One major gripe is that it is a very slow lense and with a polarising filter stuck on the end I either need bright light or fast film.

Vivitar 70-150mm f3.8.
I don't use this lens much becuase it doesn't seem to be very clear. Only when I absolutly want to frame something a long way away I reach for this one. We also have a 2x matched multiplier, however when using it even broad daylight is too dark for ISO100 film. Since I rarely carry a tripod around this lens usually stays in the bag or even at home.

Nikon 50mm fixed f1.8.
My all time favourite lense (opinion biased because i have a nikon camera :D). The pictures are crystal clear, the markings on the camera are detailed and excellent. I can focus perfectly and with accurate DOF without even looking through the camera! Even though it's fixed to 50mm, this lens is fast enough to stop time and is a favourite for cloudy days and dusk photos. Now if only it zoomed. :roll:

Anyway so I put it to you, what Lenses do you use and why? Also can someone tell me if Lecia lenses are all they are cracked up to be?

A friend of mine has a Canon camera. The lenses seem as clear (if not clearer; I didn't look) as the Nikkor lenses.

How do the Sigma's compare?

i dont like them as much as canon lenses, and no sigmas compare to canon L lenses.. but sigma lenses are pretty clear too..

Even with the major players (Nikon, Canon, Olympus etc) their zoom lenses just don't have the quality of their primes. In zooms groups of elements move around a lot and any slight inaccuracy in manufacture gets magnified.
Stick with primes for good lenses.

After a decade of photographing I have learned to appreciate
the quality of prime lenses - I have ditched several zooms
(and camera systems) in favor of Leica quality...

Leica lenses are definitely a thrill - I'm using 50mm f2 Summicrons
on a Leica M6 (rangefinder camera) and on a Leica R3 (SLR).
The photographs are razor-sharp and contrasty.

My main set-up is a Leica M6 with a 35mm f2 Summicron,
which I would not turn in for my life...

doxx said:
After a decade of photographing I have learned to appreciate
the quality of prime lenses .

I would have to agree. After using my 50mm (1.xf) prime, 135mm (2.4f) prime, and 90mm (2.4f) macro (1:1 ok - not the same situation) (all om aka olympus-om compatible) a decent lense makes a whole lot of a difference in clarity and primary focus.

PreludeX said:
i dont like them as much as canon lenses, and no sigmas compare to canon L lenses.. but sigma lenses are pretty clear too..
Sigma 120-300 is L quality...

Also the 70-200 is pretty close.

Lenses:
Canon
Sigma
and my favorites cold war 50 and 35 mm primes for zenit :)

O dont get me wrong. i love primes as awell... i just got a 20mm prime, as well as i have my eye set on a 50 1.4 or even better the 50 1.0L :D *drool*

Most reactions

Back