Who manufactures "Popular" Brand lenses?

RyanLilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have seen a few M42 screwmount Lenses on ebay, and the brand or distributor is "Popular." Does anone Know who actually makes them? I was thinking maybe Vivitar, but they don't look quite the same, then again lenses this age all tend to look so similar.

My guess is that the elements are manufactured by Cosina or Hoya... both are large manufacturers of optics. Both produce mediocre to high quality excellent glass.... depending on their client.

Thanks Usayit, I guess I'll find out soon. I went ahead and bought a couple of Popular branded lenses. A 28mm f/2.8 and 135mm f/2.8. I've been so slammed at work recently, I forgot that I have had an M42 adapter still sitting in a package for weeks and haven't even had the time to get some lenses to go with it. Regardless of how the quality turnout, playing with some new(old) gear is always fun.

...I was thinking maybe Vivitar...

It certainly wouldn't be Vivitar. They don't make lenses; they sell lenses they've bought from actual manufacturers.

There is likely no consistant manufacturer for "Popular" branded products. Various models likely came from different sources. The source is likely not Japanese, but Chinese or elsewhere in the Orient.

...I was thinking maybe Vivitar...

It certainly wouldn't be Vivitar. They don't make lenses; they sell lenses they've bought from actual manufacturers.

There is likely no consistant manufacturer for "Popular" branded products. Various models likely came from different sources. The source is likely not Japanese, but Chinese or elsewhere in the Orient.

That makes scene, I guess they looked similar to other non-manufacturer branded lenses; probably kept them looking pretty generic so they could easily be sold to multiple distributors such as "Popular". Well I hope being 2.8 lenses, while many others are often 3.5 or so, is a good indication of potential quality, but who knows? I guess I'll find out in about a week

Cosina makes a lot of lenses and cameras for others. Always top quality.

Well I hope being 2.8 lenses, while many others are often 3.5 or so, is a good indication of potential quality, but who knows? I guess I'll find out in about a week
All 2.8 means is the size of the lens opening relative to the focal length. It doesn't say anything about the quality of the design, nor the quality of the glass, nor the quality of the lens coatings, if any. :lol:

Good luck. :thumbup:

Sounds like if Cosina or Hoya are involved you're in like Flynn.

Well I hope being 2.8 lenses, while many others are often 3.5 or so, is a good indication of potential quality, but who knows? I guess I'll find out in about a week
All 2.8 means is the size of the lens opening relative to the focal length. It doesn't say anything about the quality of the design, nor the quality of the glass, nor the quality of the lens coatings, if any. :lol:

Good luck. :thumbup:

Sounds like if Cosina or Hoya are involved you're in like Flynn.

yes, but building a lens with a wider max apeture is typically more expensive, so my hope is that the manufacturer would not have gone to the extra expense for a crappy lens.

Well I just got them, and my initial impressions are good. Turns out they were made in Japan. I haven't really had a chance to take any real test shots, but the few random shots I took look very promising.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back