Who Offers More, Canon or Nikon?

BAB, I used to think in these terms too. At the time, it meant that I put my trust old Olympus OM1n in the closet and bought a Nikon FM2n and lenses. I only ever had about 5-6 lenses for each one, and those lenses were perfect for what I needed.

Here's where your question starts to make sense. I wanted a 90-105 mm macro lens. The only one I could find for Olympus was made by Olympus, and they wanted my firstborn for it.

Nikon also wanted my firstborn, but Sigma & Tokina had me covered. I wound up with a 90mm f/2.5 ATX macro. Oh my goodness, was that a nice lens. Better than the 50mm f/1.2 I briefly had for an OM4. It was sharp enough that it was sometimes unflattering. It showed every detail in the subject's face.

So to cut it short, to me it is more a matter of who has the better aftermarket support, since I won't be buying high-end Canon or Nikon stuff anyhow. The answer is that they're equal for every pratical purpose.

Olympus, Pentax and Minolta weren't far behind, but you did notice if you were looking for something specific second-hand.

It was a fair question that I posed because obviously the quality of the lens is important, if not paramount. I was putting quality aside so to speak not to diminish it's obvious importance, but to not to start a my lens is better than your lens diatribe, especially since Nikon and Canon are so closely matched in terms of quality. Apparently Big Mike understood the question because he gave me an answer that I was looking for.

did you see the post i made right after my first? :) things became clearer for me!

and BTW, I wasn't saaying it is not a fair question, I just misunderstood its direction and therefore though it strange.

According to their respective websites, including teleconverters, Canon currently offers 65 lenses, and Nikon 57. Canon wins! ;)

did you see the post i made right after my first? :) things became clearer for me!

and BTW, I wasn't saaying it is not a fair question, I just misunderstood its direction and therefore though it strange.

I did and I am guilty of not reading all the following posts before replying, so for that I apoloize.

I did and I am guilty of not reading all the following posts before replying, so for that I apoloize.

naaahh, noone is guilty in here, don't worry :)

Most reactions

Back