Who says mobile phones are not digital still camera's?

chirantha7777

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
20120922_073348_Copy_.jpg

The above was taken with a Samsung GT-i9100 Galaxy S2 mobile phone using a Back-lit CMOS sensor at 8.0MP. I asked the Nikon Photo competition if they would allow it. And they just said "NO!"... I submitted it anyway :lol:

I don't know that anyone did; they certainly are, just not very qood quality ones (relative to a DSLR). Not sure what the point of entering the image is if you have already been told that it's inadmissable...

Nobody says you can't take an interesting photo with your phone camera. But in most light conditions it don't allow you to take technicaly good photo. I've never seen good cell photos at tricky condition in most cases they was made outside at clear sunny days (like your one). I saw here a lot of very good photos taken with P&S or cell phone cameras but in the same time they could be done better with DSLR or they couldn't be done eather if the the light conditions wasn't so good.

P.S. Nice shoot. If you have oportunity to photograph such landscapes do it with DSLR.

Nobody says you can't take an interesting photo with your phone camera. But in most light conditions it don't allow you to take technicaly good photo. I've never seen good cell photos at tricky condition in most cases they was made outside at clear sunny days (like your one). I saw here a lot of very good photos taken with P&S or cell phone cameras but in the same time they could be done better with DSLR or they couldn't be done eather if the the light conditions wasn't so good.

P.S. Nice shoot. If you have oportunity to photograph such landscapes do it with DSLR.

These layouts don't last for a long time, at most 60 seconds because of the upper wind. So by the time I take out the camera from a bag and set up for the shot, the shot will be long gone! Also DSLR's are easy to break and expensive to repair and odd to carry. Which is why a good mobile camera is really important.

These layouts don't last for a long time, at most 60 seconds because of the upper wind. So by the time I take out the camera from a bag and set up for the shot, the shot will be long gone! Also DSLR's are easy to break and expensive to repair and odd to carry. Which is why a good mobile camera is really important.

And cell phones aren't easy to break?

NOBODY ever said mobile phones are not "digital still camera's" like your subject line says. They have a digital camera sensor in then and so by the very definition of a "digital still camera" yes they are one.

What people DO say is that cell phone cameras are limited, in what they can do and in what conditions they will produce a decent image.

And cell phones aren't easy to break?
Yes they are!

They can survive a drop.
They have cases that protect them from big falls.
They have scratch resistant glass
They are thinner than DSLR's and pocket camera
They have neat pouches that clip on the belt
They are more resistant to extreme weather/moisture
They are less heavy/less form factor
Person carrying a mobile phone is a normal thing whilst carrying a big DSLR and/or a bulging pocket camera is a bit of a issue and not a normal thing you see on the road.

If you are satisfied with quality of your cell photos so go on and use it. Personaly I rather will carry my 'heavy' DSLR than take pictures what I don't like.

I'm not at all satisfied with the low light quality of mobile phones. However what I'm saying is that there are certain times that you can just get away with the mobile phone for that beautiful shot.

20120925_181619_Copy_.jpg

20120921_175354_Copy_.jpg

Both of the above taken with my Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-i9100). Screw the Nikon photo competition!
EDIT: Btw, these are UNTOUCHED photo's from the phone.

You'll find that a DSLR user would not be in that position, if there's a good photo in the offing the camera will be out, with an appropraite lens on and set ready for the conditions. When I'm out and about I like to have my camera ready to capture images of birds on the wing and it's perectly capable of going from switch on-up to eye-adjust exposure-focus-shoot in time to get the shot I want, DSLRs are not slow.

If mobile phone cameras are your thing then cool, go with it. I'm pretty sure you'll not convince a DSLR user that a phone is better though.;)

You'll find that a DSLR user would not be in that position, if there's a good photo in the offing the camera will be out, with an appropraite lens on and set ready for the conditions. When I'm out and about I like to have my camera ready to capture images of birds on the wing and it's perectly capable of going from switch on-up to eye-adjust exposure-focus-shoot in time to get the shot I want, DSLRs are not slow.

If mobile phone cameras are your thing then cool, go with it. I'm pretty sure you'll not convince a DSLR user that a phone is better though.;)
Ofcourse not! DSLR's are much better (I own a D5100, SB-900, P7000 etc). BUT that doesn't mean photo's taken with a good camera phone should be turned down from Nikon and its photo competitions! :grumpy: My photo's prove exactly that!

I don't know what you do with your DSLRs, but I've owned DSLRs for nearly 10 year and I've never broken one yet. I do agree they're a pain to carry - I carry the camera only if i'm going out specifically to take photos.

I went over to m43 briefly to try to carry a camera with me all the time, but you still need a camera bag, it's just lighter, so came back to DSLRs. I do agree that a good phone camera is nice to have, but something like a Canon s95 fits in a jeans pocket just as easily, and takes much better pictures. A phone is always with you though...

Ofcourse not! DSLR's are much better (I own a D5100, SB-900, P7000 etc). BUT that doesn't mean photo's taken with a good camera phone should be turned down from Nikon and its photo competitions! :grumpy: My photo's prove exactly that!

Did they give you a reason why they rejected your photo?

Did they give you a reason why they rejected your photo?

Question :
Hello,

I have taken some beautiful photos using my galaxy s2 gt-I9100 phone which has a 8Mp backlit Cmos sensor camera. Can I submit those to the competition?
Thank you,
Chirantha
Answer :
Dear Mr.Chirantha,

Thank you for your inquiry.

As stated in the "Submission Guideline",
we would ask you to submit your works which is shot by digital still cameras
(including medium and large-format cameras).
*The cameras are not limited to Nikon.

Therefore, we would ask you to refrain from submitting your works
which is shot by mobile phone.

Most reactions

Back