Who to believe about my camera!

babsgoodman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
O.k. A couple days ago, I asked everyone on here if my new camera would be fine to take to photography school, I need a manual one. I got A Canon Rebel K2 with a 28-90mm lens. A few people replied saying that it was a good starter camera to take to school and it was an auto and manual camera, Well, I spoke to the instructer at the community college here in my home town today on the phone, and he said that camera wont work for the class, because its not fully manual. he said, (that camera wont work because its mainly auto and you would have to poke around for the manual settings, He is the only one that has said that, everyone else says its a good, manual camera, even the adviser at NYIP said it would be a great camera to take to photography school. So who do I believe?

You don't have to poke around for the manual settings at all. There is a large dial on the top left of the body, and if you turn it to M, you are set, and you never need to change it. There is a switch on your lens that says Af/Mf. Switch it to Mf for manual focus, and you are set. It's now a fully manual camera, (other than it having automatic film advance and rewind)

IMO it not the most user freely in manual mode, because it only has one dial knob, so you need to toggle between f-stop and shutter to adjust them, the Elan and higher models have two dials, but K2 can be used in full manual mode

Digital Matt said:
You don't have to poke around for the manual settings at all. There is a large dial on the top left of the body, and if you turn it to M, you are set, and you never need to change it. There is a switch on your lens that says Af/Mf. Switch it to Mf for manual focus, and you are set. It's now a fully manual camera, (other than it having automatic film advance and rewind)

What he said!

babsgoodman said:
Well, I spoke to the instructer at the community college here in my home town today on the phone, and he said that camera wont work for the class, because its not fully manual. he said, (that camera wont work because its mainly auto and you would have to poke around for the manual settings, He is the only one that has said that

He is wrong. He is just intimidated by gear he's not familiar with. When I sold cameras I ran into it all the time. Instructors would tell students that their cameras were broken, because they didn't know how to work them. The kids would bring them back to me, and I'd teach the kids how to operate the camera. His attitude is sort of a red flag. Are there any other instructors available?

Yea, actually that instructer teaches at the community college here in my home town, but I have now decided to goahead and enroll in NYIP, since time is very valuable since I have 4 kids, and its a lot cheaper too.
I have heard lots of good things about it.
So I am glad to know that I didnt buy the wrong starter camera, to learn proffesional photography, Thank you all for your help and advice.

I have been on several different forums in the past, and I have to say, you guys are GREAT!! THE BEST!!
Thank you!

It could be that he just wants you to have a straightforward manual like a Pentax K1000 so you do not get confused. I always find that a lot of students have difficulty when they just have two controls to manage. If you have a camera with lots of other settings there are even more opportunities for getting it wrong - and it is harder to track down what has been done wrong.
Having said that - your adviser gave their decision over the 'phone. My advice would always be 'Let me see it and we'll talk'.
And having said all of that... If you remember what I told you: You are the person making the investment of time, effort and money and where you go to be taught and by whom is your decision. If you have no confidence in the tutor or are not happy with advice he has given you then you will have no confidence in the course or what you are being taught. Study at the place where you feel comfortable and supported.
Good luck with your studies. And remember - we are all here if you have a problem or question.

I tell my students to bring their fancy smancy electronic nightmare and the manual, and we'll figure it out together. :)

o.k.
But I just want to make sure that the manual settings are gonna be easy to control. Or should I just go ahead and get a complete manual cam. It needs to have manual settings on arpeture and exposiour (thats not spelled right).
Does this cam have that? Or like I said should I just get a complete manual?

babsgoodman said:
o.k.
But I just want to make sure that the manual settings are gonna be easy to control. Or should I just go ahead and get a complete manual cam. It needs to have manual settings on arpeture and exposiour (thats not spelled right).
Does this cam have that? Or like I said should I just get a complete manual?
That decision is up to you, but since it sounds like you CAN just turn a couple knobs and HAVE a manual camera, why bother? :) Your experience sounds similar to mine, except I was lucky and had an awesome instructor who wasn't intimidated by anyone's "fancy schmancy electronic nightmare" (LOL @ Matt) who only insisted we actually read and become familiar with our camera's owner's manual. He made us carry them everywhere. :thumbup: It's great advice and you should do the same. I have a Pentax MZ S which pretty much stays in manual mode, but I have the benefit of auto focus when I want it, and other cool features that a strictly manual camera may not offer.

Your camera's manual is your best friend! :D Have fun learning!

While a fully manual camera may be easier because it it very simple...there is nothing that a manual camera can do, that yours can't do...except work without batteries.

Your Rebel will have a number of modes. P which is full auto. Av which is aperture priority. Tv which is shutter speed priority. M which is fully manual
There are also some other modes, represented by icons on the control dial. They are just basically versions of the priority modes controlled by the camera. I wouldn't worry about those at all. Stick with manual mode for class and learn to use the four basic modes I mentioned.

One of the things that may be more difficult on your camera than on an old manual is quickly changing the shutter speed and especially aperture. Once you get your camera, read up on how to change both of those when in Manual mode...and practice as much as you can. You don't have to shoot photos...just practice changing the shutter speed and aperture.

Sounds like the professor at our college.

I was going to sign up for a photographic composistion class, and I talked to the instructor. I own a 20D, and cant afford a 35mm right now, and my AE-1 is a bit outdated and the film advance is broken.

The instructor told me that I could not use the 20D because it is a fully automatic new age electronic peice of junk (yes, he told me exactly that). He says the camera has NO manual settings (even after showing him the camera) He said that the so called 'manual' settings on it are all controlled by an onboard computer.

This threw up a red flag, and I decided not to take the course. I dont think I would have enjoyed the class anyways with an instructor like that.

I wrote a letter to the dean, and some of the higher-ups at the college, and I am still waiting on a reply.

Colleges & Universities can be a haven for over-educated people who are almost completely out of touch with the 'real world'. Not just in photography but in all fields.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back