Who Uses a Sigma 70-200mm F2.8?

Wozza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.nzgamer.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been doing a bit of research on this lens (yes I did search) and at first all the views were positive and I was thinking of going in and buying the lens then I ran across a heap of less positive reviews and that put me off it a bit - so I thought I'd say what I'm looking at using it for and seeing what people here that have the lens or have used it think.

Yes I'm tempted to go up to the Canon, but that will wipe me out financially and I am about to go for a trip to the daintree rain forest. I'd like a good lens for that, but I also need some spending money lol. Mostly I will be using the lens for nature photography, but I would also want to use the lens for motorsport from time to time.

Now I know the lens gets a bit soft at f2.8 - but I don't really think I'd shoot at f2.8 on it very often, that would be extreamly thin DOF I imagine on a telephoto?

I'd like to take it for a spin but there is no lens rentals here. I have used a few Sigma lenses in my time, nothing that chunky but they have always seemed good lenses for me.

I quite like that it sounds like you can make manual adjustments to the auto focus, that sounds really useful to me.

Cheers in advance for your advice.

If you dont' think you'd shoot at f/2.8 very often then why don't you get a 70-300VR instead? It's cheaper, smaller, lighter, has VR becuase you wouldn't be shooting at f/2.8 anyway, and has an additional 100mm of reach.

All of the Nikkor 80-200's are fantastic and those can be had cheap too. Quality is great, AF on D2's is fast enough for sports, and the build quality is fantastic, I swung mine 6 feet onto pavement and the only thing that happened was the lens hood bayonets shattered.

Other then softness at f/2.8, i've heard pretty much nothing but good things about the sigma 70-200.

Probably should have said this will atttach to a Canon 20D :D

But open to any lens suggestions!

I have the Sigma 50-150 f2.8 that I use with my 30D and I love it. It focusses quickly and accurately. I use it occasionally with the Sigma 1.4X and the Sigma 2X TC's.

I've got the Sigma 70-200 2.8.
I've only had it for a short time. On its own, I love it. I find it a great product with sharp images. I am disapointed with the lens when compbined with a 2x teleconverter. The images are soft with the TC.

I use my 50-150 with the Sigma 1.4X or the 2X TC's and it does well as long as it's on a tripod. Remember the TC brings it down to an f5.6 wide-open and you need the tripod stability. You don't get sumpin for nuttin.

Like its been said its a great lens, but can be soft at f/2.8. I just shot some auto sports with this lens and got some awesome stuff.

I have been using the Sigma 70-200 for about 9 months and love it. I find the quality is sharp and it focases fast enough for my needs although I do not shoot sports. I would highly reccomend this lens especially for the price. Having 2.8 is great for low light, you may not use it all thie time but it does come in very handy in certain situations.

Heres a shot with f/8

(obvious PP)
2564483167_6e49a3b159_b.jpg

Cheers for the feedback guys was helpful, decided to go with it. Just got a pie and grabbed a hot pie and some shots of the locals.

2568636029_45d4f63af1.jpg

200mm f-5.6

The Sigma is a great lens. I have the older DG non-macro version. It falls just short of the Canon equivalent in terms of sharpness wide open and AF speed/accuracy but it is still a great lens. If you think you won't be using 2.8 that much then why not go for a Canon 70-200 4L. Lightning fast and accurate AF very sharp even wide open. I had one before I got my Sigma and it out performed the Sigma in every way but the fact that it couldn't go wider and 4.0. You can pick up a good used one for about $450 and they are a lot lighter than the Sigma 2.8. I wanted/needed the 2.8 aperture so I went with the Sigma. Here are a couple recent shots with it.
2538198730_20455ebce4.jpg

2538198676_144bd324e9.jpg

Wow
Great shots
Love the Bokeh!

Just wanted to add that I have the 70-200 f/2.8 sigma and LOVE it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back