Who uses Leica, Hasselblad, etc??

Vicelord John

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm just curious. This stuff is EXPENSIVE and I'm hard pressed to see how it creates any better images than say a D3X or Canon's equivelent.

Enlighten me.

Well when you say 'better' that's completely subjective. I also am curious to know if people use these brands, and who.

I looked into it a while back, and there is one definite use for the hasselblad. Ever been to a museum and seen GIGANTIC photos? Well, if they are huge, like the size of the wall, then chances are they are hassy's. I mean, no other camera can make such enormous photos, as the hassy has 50 megapixels!

As far as Leica, it's all about the german engineering.

A BMW, AUDI, Mercedes, Lexus takes yah from A to B... just like my econobox. No one seems to ask about those purchases...

There are several discussions but I am having trouble finding them:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...s/126583-leica-m8-just-little-too-pricey.html

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...639-leica-m9-noctilux-m-50mm-f-0-95-asph.html

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...reviews/183852-perfect-camera-lens-combo.html

Hassy's are a different story... that discussion is more along the lines of MF digital versus...

That's a good read icassell. And for those who want the important part of that entire review just scroll to the very bottom.
"The real issue is determining whether the difference is worth the price. For some it will, and for others it won't. "

And that's the kicker. I feel like just hitting rich kids with hassleblads doing point and shoot style photography, but if you're in the studio where the resolution and reliability are both critical to the success of the shoot, and you get paid a small fortune for your work and can thus tax deduct it, it may be a nobrainer to go with the medium format digitals.

A BMW, AUDI, Mercedes, Lexus takes yah from A to B... just like my econobox. No one seems to ask about those purchases...

Haha, you're obviously not really into car discussion. As a German car enthusiast, I'll tell ya there is plenty of heat thrown at German car owners for spending more for cars.

but yeah, Leica, Hasselblad = BMW or Mercedes Benz of Cameras

Canon, Nikon = Honda and Nissan

they cost more for a reason.

so you're saying I purchased a Nissan? I guess if I did, the D90 would have to be an Altima.

lol no no no...Nikon and Canon are BMW's and Benz's. Hassy's and Leica are Ferrari and Lambos!

that makes more sense and maybe pentax, casio, etc. are the honda nissan toyotas.

ever watch americas next top model?....that dude uses a hassy i think.

Again, it's not how expensive the gear is, it is what you do with your gear. One can take a great photo with a Diana type camera and another one can take lousy pictures with a Hasselblad. Sure, the optics of the latter help in some way but you need to know how to put that to your advantage. I own both Hasselblads and Leicas as well as a Canon 5D and I use them all, although in all honesty I have used more of the digital equipment as of late due to time constraints. Using film cameras will make you slower and more careful in selecting the right exposure/composition.

Most reactions

Back