Who uses Leica, Hasselblad, etc??

I think the car analogy is a good one. Why is a Hummer better than a Toyota Camry? It's easy to imagine situations where I'd rather be driving the Hummer. I don't ever actually encounter those situations in my driving though, so the Camry is a better choice for me.

let me tell you who uses them.
rich people.:er:

Really??:scratch::scratch:

I must be rich and don't know it...:lol:
:lmao: compared to me, you must be. :p

Well then... Thanks for letting me know! I'm gonna have a different view on life now after this epiphany! ;)

Seriously now, Hasselblads can be had for a fraction compared to say, 5-10 years ago. You can get a system for under $1,000, the basic one. Leicas are not that expensive either, unless they're rare. You can get an old IIIc for under $300. :p

For many of us.. it is setting priorities and saving.

You can either buy many affordable things.

or

You can either buy a few expensive things.

Choose ONE!

I am fortunate enough to have an M8. My buddies say.. wow you have money... you paid that much for a camera. My response is usually along the lines...

How much did you spend on that flat panel TV? (I still have my 10 year old CRT)

How much did you spend on that new BMW? (I drive a 9 year old Audi purchased used for $15k 19,500 on the clock)

How many cell phones have you purchased? (Prior to my current, I had my Palm 650 for 6 years)

Where do you shop for clothing? (I have no problems going to Target or Kohls).

How many jobs have you worked? (Until this past year... 2 jobs)

etc...

See.. my buddies are in terrible debt. Why? Because they Buy Many Expensive Things. There's nothing wrong with spending your money on luxury... its how you do it.

or

Choose ONE!

I am fortunate enough to have an M8. My buddies say.. wow you have money... you paid that much for a camera. My response is usually along the lines...

How much did you spend on that new BMW? (I drive a 9 year old Audi purchased used for $15k 19,500 on the clock)

How many cell phones have you purchased? (Prior to my current, I had my Palm 650 for 6 years)

etc...

See.. my buddies are in terrible debt. Why? Because they Buy Many Expensive Things. There's nothing wrong with spending your money on luxury... its how you do it.

:thumbup:

let me tell you who uses them.
rich people.:er:

Really??:scratch::scratch:

I must be rich and don't know it...:lol:

+1

or

Choose ONE!

etc...

Totally agree with that. And it is valid whether the purchases are made for business or personal use.

I imagine most digital Hassies are in pro studios where they are needed for business. Plus they are a business expense thus tax deductible.

For personal use, the film ones work just fine if you are willing to deal with film. My 500CM with an 80 T* and 2 backs costs me $600. I would not call that a camera for the rich considering there are not that many DSLRs for much less...

I think the car analogy is a good one. Why is a Hummer better than a Toyota Camry? It's easy to imagine situations where I'd rather be driving the Hummer. I don't ever actually encounter those situations in my driving though, so the Camry is a better choice for me.

Only if the brakes work

I use this now and again
509424777_PoWjj-L.jpg

509424886_5HH96-L.jpg

I am thinking if buy the cheapest digital back [used] to use with one of my film MF [Mamiya or Hasselblad] is a good idea while i have a digital medium format already, and i will check with the salesman if my trade-in is still there or canceled, so if you have say 3 film medium format cameras and one digital medium format, will you buy a digital back [Phase One, Leaf, Mamiya,...] for the film body or you be happy to use that digital medium format [H3D, H4D, ZD, DM,..]?

Until recently, I used a (film) Hassy, because a digital SLR couldn't give me the same quality. That is no longer true. Unless you're doing super-critical professional work, the DSLRs are now just as good and MUCH more convenient to use. I can't vouch for the Hassy digital setups; they're way out of my league.

BTW, I successfully resisted the digital temptation - I'm now shooting 4x5 polaroids!

I am also planning to get a large format even i have digital Hasselblad and film Hasselblad.

Ever hear of megapixels?

Noise?

Lens quality?

Although you missed Mamiya - cheaper than Hasselblad, uses some Hasselblad lenses, has aftermarket 60 MP back, etc.

This is a quality issue - frankly a good photographer can get a good photo with your decent DSLR and a good lens - the lens is more important than the camera - but you might take a hasselblad Into space (they did in the 70's) or to Mt Everest, the Leica to the alps; etc. but you really would not take anything less

Most reactions

Back