Whoah its dark in here!!!!

M

MDowdey

hey losers!!! i have a question....

where can i find a complete list of required stuff for developing my own medium format negatives? i know this can be done pretty easily...but its so expensive at the local lab. is there a comprehensive list of items to get? and how to do it?

spank you, spank you very much
md

Thanks matt!!!! now i just need to figure out how to use all that crap!!
i appreciate it!!!

md

"hey losers!!! i have a question...."

I know the answer! It's ........3?

"Where can i find a complete list of required stuff for developing my own medium format negatives?"

Depends how complete you wish to be. You could start off with a few essentials....Tim Rudman's book has to be the one of the best darkroom resources.

Here's some ideas:

1. If you have 35mm already, then your 120 roll will fit into your
35mm kit. The stainless steel reels or the Paterson autoreels are
easier to use than the yobo Jobos. Don't be intimidated by
size! Go on and be big - do medium format.

2. More quantities of usual developer, stop, fix. May or may not
need clearing agent (hyposulphite). Also helps to have wetting
agent and hanging clips with weights. I.e. - same as 35mm roll
format.

There! Nothing more over 35mm required. The technique of agitation isn't very different from 35mm; there is a risk of streaking, uneven development c/w 35mm but it's not really big.

"spank you, spank you very much"

Now! Now! Not on a public forum.

Jamie R said:
"2. More quantities of usual developer, stop, fix.

Why would you need more quantity of chems? A roll of 35mm (36exp) and a roll of 120 are both 80 square inches of film.

Matt - psychological reasons perhaps?

35mm and 120 cover the same area; however covering the film with developer is another matter. 290ml developer which is sufficient for 35mm, will not cover 120 format roll film: a Paterson tank requires 500ml developer at the same (not weaker) concentration to completely immerse the film.

Jobo tanks seem pretty good in this respect - their design seems to enable slighly less developer to be used per roll, than Paterson tanks, however at the risk of overhandlng the negatives.

Jamie R said:
Matt - psychological reasons perhaps?

35mm and 120 cover the same area; however covering the film with developer is another matter. 290ml developer which is sufficient for 35mm, will not cover 120 format roll film: a Paterson tank requires 500ml developer at the same (not weaker) concentration to completely immerse the film.

Jobo tanks seem pretty good in this respect - their design seems to enable slighly less developer to be used per roll, than Paterson tanks, however at the risk of overhandlng the negatives.

I see what you mean. You are considering depth of liquid, not chem capacity. I use a 64 oz tank, but I don't like to fill it all the way, so I use 46 oz which covers 3 rolls 120 or 5 rolls 35mm.

Most reactions

Back