Whoo Hoo! First Wedding Silly Questions

tslice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tylergreenphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I shoot for a newspaper, and generally any event I cover I run around like mad to wherever I need to be to get 'the shot.' I just got hired to shoot a wedding, and I don't want to make anyone upset by running up and down the aisles ( as the people attending the wedding could hopefully be potential clients I really want to impress ). I plan on studying some hot-shot wedding sites and see where they position themselves for shots and stuff, but I have a few questions already.

For detail shots such as a shot of the dress, when do you get that shot? Do you show up knock on the door and ask for the dress?

When do you shoot formal and group shots? Directly after the wedding, right before the reception, during the reception?

When and how do you get detail shots ie: wedding rings? Find the best man? Ask for the rings?

How do you get shots of the bride walking down the aisle? Is it acceptable for the photographer to run out into the aisle as she walks down?

As far as delivery, I plan to automate a proof sheet from photoshop and email it to them and let them decide what prints they want and then post-process the selected photos and upload them to my website.

Also, I plan on creating a folder for them ( zenfolio - password protected folder specifically for the wedding ) where the bride and groom and family can login and purchase prints. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to print cards with the url login and password on them to pass out to family members during the ceremony to help drive print purchases.

Am I missing anything here? I'm so excited I can't wait!!!

For detail shots such as a shot of the dress, when do you get that shot? Do you show up knock on the door and ask for the dress?

I shoot the bride (and sometimes the groom if he is nearby.. or have a second shooter do that) in the morning (and by shoot, I mean with my camera ;)). Usually when she is having the beginning of her hair done (if she is at home) I ask for the dress and take those detail shots then. Otherwise, it will be when the bridesmaids are having their makeup done or people are just standing around

When do you shoot formal and group shots? Directly after the wedding, right before the reception, during the reception?

This depends on the scheduling of the wedding. I have always done them directly after the ceremony. Make sure you get a list of the family shots they want and put a family member in charge of making sure Auntie Sue isn't dipping into the punch a little soon and missing it. Actually, I lie, once I did it directly before the reception.

When and how do you get detail shots ie: wedding rings? Find the best man? Ask for the rings?

Lots of people do them before the ceremony (during the 'getting ready'). I have always done them at the reception when the bride and groom are eating, I will just ask them for their rings.. go and shoot away.. and of course return them afterwards ;)

How do you get shots of the bride walking down the aisle? Is it acceptable for the photographer to run out into the aisle as she walks down?

You need to inquire with the bride and groom, possibly the church (or whatever location they are using), and the officiant. In a full mass catholic wedding I was only permitted at the front when the bride and groom were coming down the aisle but no flash was permitted for instance. I usually hang out at the front when everyone is walking down the aisle and 'squat' when there is a break between people. I will stand up.. shoot a couple when they are coming down the aisle, then I go back down. Sly as a ninja :lol:

As far as delivery, I plan to automate a proof sheet from photoshop and email it to them and let them decide what prints they want and then post-process the selected photos and upload them to my website.

Also, I plan on creating a folder for them ( zenfolio - password protected folder specifically for the wedding ) where the bride and groom and family can login and purchase prints. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to print cards with the url login and password on them to pass out to family members during the ceremony to help drive print purchases.

Yup, I see that done quite often. They often pu it on the guests reception tables

hope that helps :)

I have a bit of advice...look at another wedding photographers work and get some ideas from them. I'm not a big fan of weddings or wedding photography, but I saw some photos today from a great photographer that blew me away.

Check him out:
DAVIDEJACKSON // A PHOTOGRAPHER

The answer to all your questions is......it depends. ;)

The key to wedding photography is being able to adapt to the situation that you are presented with. Be prepared and work with what you have.

@ Peanuts - Thanks for the advice. I'm making notes of questions to ask the to-be-weds this evening. Good thing to find out if I can use flash or not before I start blinding people.

@ bdavis - Don't know if you read the blogs, but Zack Arias recently did a website review of David Jackson, and yes, he blew me away as well!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back