Whoops, did I just buy a lighting kit? 1st photos - Crits and comments appreciated!

I am kind of wondering what you guys have to say about the background light in #1 though. Who thinks it's a good/bad idea to have a "spotlight" effect behind the head? I only received one comment on that, and it was a "don't do that". But I think it looks good :(.

I like 5, but the highlights are just a tad blown out. . .

Wow. You must have a SERIOUSLY aggressive definition of a "blown highlight".

Credit Card companies - like vampires. Good to see you're enjoying yourself though, which is really the point. How'd you set yourself up to take the self pics. . .always wondered that - I'm sure theres a common sense answer I'm just missing.

Focus was achieved by putting an empty tripod in front of the camera over a piece of masking tape on the floor. I'd then focus on the top of the tripod, (very fun to do with a focusing screen), trip the shutter with a 12-delay, run out in front of the camera, remove the tripod and hold your head over the tape as closely as possible. Make a funny face and Tada!

But what about the lighting in #1, is it really bad to do what I did there?

And what about DOF, should I keep it deeper than what I did?

Please, answer. Please. I need you guys to help with this and no one seems to want to help.

Most reactions

Back