Who's Doing It and With What?

sween

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I don't see sensor cleaning discussed much. Back five or six years ago, a lot of us either were too timid to even try or we're pretty sure we never would.

So, anyone here cleaning their sensors? All thoughts more than welcome, since I just found a nice "punch in the gut" type splotch on my D200's sensor. Luckily, it's in a spot where it can be easily cropped out of probably 90% of all shots. Thanks...

I use an Arctic Butterfly with my 30D. Bought it after 2 consectutive $40 cleanings at the local camera shop ...

It seems to work fine.

We actually talk about it all the time.

The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum - Search Results

Buy a good kit like this and be rid of the dust spot in a couple of minutes.

Assuming you can follow super simple instructions (I mean really simple), I see no problem with cleaning your sensor. They're a lot more durable than you think. I clean my regularly.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, guys, really appreciate it. Sure is one big price swing between the two products mentioned. Any thoughts as to why?

The Arctic Butterfly is a reusable product while the other kit is just a few one-time-use products. Although, I do believe that the Arctic Butterfly products are quite overpriced as it is.

There are several methods to cleaning your sensor...and levels of invasivness within that. The first thing I try, is to use a bulb blower to blow the dust off. The 'Rocket' type blowers are best. (don't use air in a can).
If that's not good enough, then I might try to brush the dust off (or I might start with this). The idea is to 'charge' the brush with static electricity so that it attracts the dust. This is the principle behind the Arctic Butterfly.
If that still doesn't work, then you may need a wet cleaning, which involved cleaning fluid and swabs.

I've also heard talk of a 'sensor pen', which is similar to the 'lens pen'.

I will make one observation about the Rocket blower. The first time I used mine, I didn't puff it out first and blew a big blob of glop (scientific term for it) onto my sensor that took a professional cleaning to get off (I didn't have my arctic butterfly at the time). I still use the blower routinely as my first attack, but now I make sure to puff it out a few times before I direct it at the sensor.

I agree that the arctic butterfly is overpriced, but it does work and it is still cheaper than a bunch of professional cleanings (and I don't lose my camera for a couple of days at the cleaning shop).

I've never really understood the professional cleaning thing. It's really very simple to do. And the part that we clean, isn't the super delicate thing that most people seem to think it is. It's a filter in front of the sensor that we are actually cleaning.

Most reactions

Back