Whow ! Lots of new Zeiss Lenses !

Apparently the new Zeiss Otus will be a 28mm, not a 24mm !

(SR5) New Zeiss Otus is a 28mm lens! | sonyalpharumors
Zeiss Otus 28mm F/1.4 Lens to be Announced Next Month
Zeiss Otus 28mm f/1.4 Distagon T* Coming? [CR2]

This would theoretically be a more useful focal length to me, personally. Still wide, but not yet ultrawide.

Well, in theory.
Wow, Zeiss going for a 28mm before the signature 25mm? And there’s not even a 35mm Otus yet, I thought that would be the next one!

One thing I never quite understood with Zeiss, is the pricing. $1,117 for the 2/35, $1,843 for the 2/100M and 2.8/21, $1,283 for the 2/50M … I mean, who’s coming out with those weird numbers? Nikon isn’t great at that either—everything ends with 6.95—but at least they’re consistent!

Looks like the happy day will be Oct 10: Zeiss Otus 28mm F/1.4 Lens to be Announced on October 14

I'm really, really curious about how well this one will perform. I am also curious if Ming Thein is already testing it and instantly comes out with the review, haha !

No idea how Zeiss compute their prices. I guess they just compute the total cost then add the profit margins they want and give us the numbers they get as result.

Reactions: Ido
Solarflare said:
So finally its out:
ZEISS Otus 28mm f/1.4 lens announced - CanonWatch

Sadly Ming Thein doesnt have any test up yet.
One cant buy it until next year, though, and the price wasnt set yet, either.

But rest assured, once he does put up samples you can be assured that he will have over-sharpned the living sh*t out of them, so they are filled with jaggies; there will be tons of shots of skyscrapers and windows, and many,many pictures of the backs of city dwellers, and he will have "juiced" the reds or another color that is in each frame, and put that tacky border around each one. And done the edge burn on each frame.

Ming has become one of the new Zeiss whores, recently having accepted a trip to their factory on the Zeiss dime. He works out of their stable now.

Photos and Stuff

Haha Derrel ! Sounds like you dont like Ming Theins photography style. I'm not into his photography much, either, though. Most of the time, anyway.

Still he IMHO does the best online reviews, because he often mentions important details everybody else failed to flag.

Anyway, this is his review of the Otus 28mm, just one day "late": Review: the Zeiss 1.4/28 Otus APO-Distagon

To sum it up: Surprise ! Its a hefty, heavy beast and better than any other 28mm. Who would have guessed !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back