Why a lens this big?

mostly sunny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
legoland42010_0722.jpg

to take pictures of people on this ride..

legoland42010_0726.jpg

It looks like Canon 70-200 2.8. On full frame it works great. It works great on crop as well but that extra zoom range that you get turns it into about 110-320mm (give or take) and that might be TOO much for everything else but great for some sports, wildlife, etc.

Usually longer focal length + low f-stop = big ass lens. Even the wide angle (on a full-frame anyway) Canon L glass is kinda big, like the 24-105mm and that doesn't reach out very far.

As far as why use it (70-200) for a portrait? Especially on a full frame camera that's a good portrait lens. The big aperture can give a really nice low depth of field at those focal lengths making for some pretty portraits with nice blur.

Yep 70-200mm f2.8 I'll bet - either the IS or non IS version (can't tell from the pick)

As for why so big -- well -- really -- its not that big a lens (honestly its just a little one -- really -- for a telephoto ;)))

Camera might be pro grade or just any regular DSLR with a battery grip attached to the base

It looks like Canon 70-200 2.8. On full frame it works great. It works great on crop as well but that extra zoom range that you get turns it into about 110-320mm (give or take) and that might be TOO much for everything else but great for some sports, wildlife, etc.

I tend to find it is - a nice 24-105mm though would be a great backup for such a lens :)

That lens isn't big. That lens is a little boy lens.

This is Bob's Lens. Bob tried Enzyte, the once a day tablet for natural lens enhancement. Now Bob is the talk of the whole neighborhood with his BIG LENS!
240475717b811e6462ao.jpg

:lmao:

Reach. Or to get some magnification.

This is one of the 2 lenses I use to shoot soccer (Sigma APO 150-500 mm f/5-6.3 OS DG HSM):

BigmaD90.jpg

This lens weighs almost 4 lbs so I mount it on a monopod there at the tripod foot. I add a vertical gripped D300 to the lens and it all weighs about 7.5 lbs.

I have a second body with a shorter lens mounted for the close in shots (D200/AF 80-200 mm f/2.8) I wear on a Black Rapid strap at the same time so it hangs at my right hip.

Nikon 600mm f/4 VR

thats 18 inches long.. haha
240475717b811e6462ao.jpg

:lmao: __________________
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it.
[/FONT]

& they say size doesn't matter :D
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif][/FONT]

I say why not? Same question could be for people who buy a camera way over their talent level or buy a sportscar and never take it to a track... lol.

This is one of the 2 lenses I use to shoot soccer (Sigma APO 150-500 mm f/5-6.3 OS DG HSM):

BigmaD90.jpg

This lens weighs almost 4 lbs so I mount it on a monopod there at the tripod foot. I add a vertical gripped D300 to the lens and it all weighs about 7.5 lbs.

I have a second body with a shorter lens mounted for the close in shots (D200/AF 80-200 mm f/2.8) I wear on a Black Rapid strap at the same time so it hangs at my right hip.

I wish my soccer/American football lens only weighted 4 lbs. At 11 lbs my 400 f2.8 is definitely not a hand holder.

BigmaD90.jpg

I wish my soccer/American football lens only weighted 4 lbs. At 11 lbs my 400 f2.8 is definitely not a hand holder.
I know. That's one of main reasons I only do daytime field sports.

You have to buy a monopod that can handle that kind of weight too! Even more $$$'s.

I've got lens envy:lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back