why are my photos blurry?

Ok b/c when I zoom in 100% in photoshop, it looks grainy/blurry. But when I zoom in 100% on the photos of on kid by themselves, the child is tack sharp! I don't get it!
Well if some things are sharp while others are not, then obviously its not enough depth of field.

If you photograph a group, you need to set the focus into about the middle of the group. That you focused on the kids was the first error.

The second error was only using f/5.0, because thats actually still quite wide open.
Yes, but... when you check the numbers, DoF is about 9'.

Stop looking at 100%, that is not how we view a photo and the issue is negligible at best at full size.

Ok b/c when I zoom in 100% in photoshop, it looks grainy/blurry. But when I zoom in 100% on the photos of on kid by themselves, the child is tack sharp! I don't get it!
Well if some things are sharp while others are not, then obviously its not enough depth of field.

If you photograph a group, you need to set the focus into about the middle of the group. That you focused on the kids was the first error.

The second error was only using f/5.0, because thats actually still quite wide open.
Yes, but... when you check the numbers, DoF is about 9'.
Good point! Found a DOF website that calculates it at about 9.79 feet

Maybe camera is front focusing or back focusing?

Screenshot (25).png

I'm trying to understand what Im doing wrong. Ive been practicing on friends and family lately using my 50mm lens. Yet, a lot of my group portrait shots are coming out blurry. When I take single photos of the kids, the photos come out crisp and clear. BUT all the photos of groups, came out blurry. I was shooting at ISO 400, f/5, 1/160 yet the photo is came out slightly blurry. On all my group shots, I used a high aperture to make sure everyone is in focus. SO my question is, am I standing TOO far back? Is there a point of being so far away that the subject becomes blurry? If I have all the right settings, shouldn't I be able to stand ANYWHERE and my photos should be tack sharp? TIA!!
The diopter could be out of focus. Do you know how to focus it?

-Mobile Matt

Most reactions

Back