Why are my pictures so small?

MiiLovely

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I upload my pictures from my camera to my latop I open them with GIMP 2.6 but they are SO small! Should I use a different editting program?
(my camera came with viewNX2 (my manual says I can edit my photos with that but I cant for the life of me figure out HOW lol) Thanks for the help!

Your camera probably allows you to take pictures of various sizes. Have you got it set on the biggest possible size?

What does GIMP claim the resolution is? It should say right in the title bar how big it thinks the image is, 3072x4096 or whatever, and that should match whatever your camera is set to take.

When I upload my pictures to gimp it says the size of the pictures are only between 160x160 which is tiny! I did a little setting ajustment on my viewNX2 and hopefully when I upload my next photos they will save in a larger image.

It sounds to me like you're only pulling thumbnails off the camera, or something, not downloading the whole photo?

160x160... those are thumbnails.. not the image

Are you trying to open .NEF files? In it's native state, GIMP cannot open raw files and will only open the embedded jpeg.

I think so, do I need to change them over to jepg after I upload them to my viewNX2? If I am only uploading the thumbnail, how do I upload the whole picture? D: (Im plugging in the camera to my computer n a little file pops up that says .. Manage mdeia on your device, browes, change general settings and Import files (I usally just hit import files) Am I missing a set or do I need to change a setting?

viewNX2 can convert to TIFF or JPEG. I would use TIFF. I am pretty sure GIMP only understands 8 bit TIFF, so don't bother with 16 bit TIFF (well, you can try it and see if GIMP complains).

the menu item is: File -> Convert Files

Don't worry about what TIFF means versus JPEG versus 16 bit TIFF versus 8 bit TIFF. All you need to know is:

"16 bit TIFF" is better than "8 bit TIFF" which is better than "JPEG"

Converted to both TIFF 16 and 8 (and even JEPG) and they are till only showing up as 160x160 . Ugh I didnt think I would have this much trouble simply uploading my pictures.
(I converted them then then right clicked and "opened with"- GIMP .. There is a little thing there that says 'register' do I need to register for something to get the proper size photos? or do I just ignore that?

So, you're shooting raw instead of jpeg? Raw images will be something like DSC_1234.NEF, while jpeg will be DCS_1234.JPG.

Yes I am shooting in RAW

Then you need to use a raw converter to develop your raws into, say, JPG. Unless you do that, most software such as Gimp will not be able to deal with them properly.

Yes I am shooting in RAW

GIMP cannot handle any raw file format. So it's opening the imbedded thumbnail instead. You need to either convert the raw files in ViewNX, install some other raw converter (like Capture NX2 or RawTherapee), or, if you're feeling lucky, download and install UFRaw.

So you did converted the RAWs, saved them as JPG and then opened the JPGs with GIMP?

Most reactions

Back