Why are people all looking to take the same photo?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by chuasam, Aug 19, 2017.

1. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    *LOL* I tried shooting the bloody moon with a 300mm f/2.8 VR II and a D810...and I think the photos still sucked compared to NASA's.
    I decided that if I could not shoot something much better or wildly different, why bother taking the same photo that has already been taken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not planning on shooting it and probably won't watch it either. I guess I just don't get what all the hype is about.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    There are many reasons

1) Because it is possible to take a photo of something and to enjoy the moment and event at the same time. You then have experienced something and also gotten a photo of it to remind you in years to come and to show others as a visual reference as you recount the tale.

2) Photos are a memory and for a majority of people they like to document events. Granted in this throw-away age where photos are dirt cheap there's a lot of throwaway memories. But at the same time there's potential for many to be kept and to be fond memories in years to come.

3) Because monkey see monkey do. If that were not true then there wouldn't be any wildlife photography - heck a vast majority of creativity is repeated - adjusted a little here and a little there. The internet also makes this FAR more apparent. In the past you might not see the thousands of shots; just the few professional ones and a few from friends at the photo club. Today you can see thousands but only if you want. And honestly it doesn't matter if someone else did it - people still want to do it themselves.

4) Because for some the experience is photographing it not the eclipse itself.

5) Because they want to - because others are doing it - because marketing suggests they should - because they want to try it -

There are so many reasons that people choose to enjoy such an even through the camera just as there are many that choose to enjoy it without.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm camping only 350 feet from where the centerline of the path of totaliy will pass. I plan on parking my carcass at the top of a hill just 30 feet off that line.

No attempt to shoot the eclipse itself but I plan on setting up a video camera and shooting the reactions and comments on myself and fellow campers as we watch from what we endearingly call "Eclipse Hill".

I'll have it all set up and will just hit the record button about 10 minutes prior to C2 and just let 'er go. That's all I have planned to record. I want the event completely recorded in my gray matter hard drive instead of a memory card chock-full of 1s and 0s that represent an average to so-so image.

The 2024 eclipse passes through my brothers yard so I may take a bit of the 4-minutes plus of totality of that one to attempt a shot or two.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

I will be in the penumbra area, but due to heavy overcast (Marine Layer) common to SoCal, I won't be able to see squat. Oh well ... there will be plenty on Tv and the internet.

6. chuasam

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Be sure to set manual exposure so we can see it darken

7. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The last I remember what must have been a partial eclipse was going out on the playground with the kids at school doing the pinhole projector thing... and that was about it. Seems like outside it looked rather filtered or polarized, sort of like how it looks on a sunny day with a camera using a circular polarizer (that's what it reminded me of anyway).

But now with social media and eclipse glasses and all the hype... One school district that started early announced they'll keep the kids inside for recess. Probably not much choice because there's so much misinformation 'out there', and glasses that were sold that were knockoffs, etc. etc. etc. there's probably a concern about what kids may have seen or heard and might try.

I hope people realize the pinhole thing is a projector not a pinhole camera, that you're projecting the shadow onto a white piece of paper. There's a NASA video on YouTube that shows how to make the same type thing with a cereal box. It's not hard to make one out of something like an index card - you cut a small square, tape a piece of foil over it, poke a hole in the foil with a pin, then LOOK DOWN at the shadow cast onto a white piece of paper or whatever.

I hadn't heard the colander thing but it's the same - you use it to cast a shadow onto another surface and LOOK DOWN at it. I half expect there to be reports of people doing permanent eye damage trying to look at it, but I hope not.

8. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Watching the NASA feed, that's a thought Sam.

With rain forecast for Tuesday they're saying a possibility of some cloud cover here now on Monday, it's already today clouding up for a minute or so from time to time.

9. dennybeall

dennybeall No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Many people do it just because it's an interesting challenge.
    Personally, the TV will do a better job.

10. DanOstergren

DanOstergren Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think it's about having an original photo, it's more about the experience and having a tangible memory of it that you personally documented. That said, I don't care about the eclipse and wont be taking any photos of it. I have work to do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    In the words of Sir Edmund Hillary, "Because its there".

NONE of my nature photos are as good as shots available for viewing on the web already but I still enjoyed shooting them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. chuasam

Photos NOT OK to edit

My Nature photos suck because if I'm outdoors longer than 45mins I get grumpy (unless I'm at a Waterpark) and I don't like wandering more than 1km from my car.

• Funny Funny x 1