Why bother asking if you don't want any help?

Sometimes people don't quite understand how harsh some people on here can be, and they get their feelings hurt. I had this happen to me when someone told me my shot was a "throw away." :)

The reality is that it is easy for experienced photographers to recognize a "throw away" shot and that may be a very accurate description of your shot. Face it. Even with technical improvements or postprocessing, a boring, flat shot with no impact is still not worth saving. It is a "throw away".

The role of someone doing critique is to tell it like it is in clear, plain language. Their assumption is that they are dealing with a person who is sufficiently mature to understand and accept criticism and more importantly to LEARN from it.

Put bluntly, if your feelings get hurt by so-called harsh criticism, then you do NOT belong in photography at any level: amateur or pro. :thumbdown:

skieur

The worst part is I wasn't even talking about critique. I understand people here can be harsh and good for them (providing they actually give a decent critique other than "it's rubbish"). But this is in the equipment, photo discussions, and other sub forums too.

I am thinking of getting camera X what are your thoughts?
Camera Y is better, costs less, and may be more suited to your needs, check it out.
I WASN'T ASKING ABOUT CAMERA Y I WAS ASKING ABOUT CAMERA X. ARE YOU ALWAYS THIS DUMB THIS IS WHY NO ONE LIKES YOU AND NO ONE TALKS TO YOU AND WHY YOU AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN THIS WORLD, blah blah blah.

I don't know why some people ask.

"Does my ass look big in these jeans?"
Did they ever run an advert for a drink called Dare where you live?
<girl looking in mirror> "Does my ass look big in these jeans?"
<guy drinking dare> "Yeah. But at least it takes the focus off your face!"

The reality is that it is easy for experienced photographers to recognize a "throw away" shot and that may be a very accurate description of your shot. Face it. Even with technical improvements or postprocessing, a boring, flat shot with no impact is still not worth saving. It is a "throw away".

The role of someone doing critique is to tell it like it is in clear, plain language. Their assumption is that they are dealing with a person who is sufficiently mature to understand and accept criticism and more importantly to LEARN from it.

Put bluntly, if your feelings get hurt by so-called harsh criticism, then you do NOT belong in photography at any level: amateur or pro. :thumbdown:

skieur

Were you to pose the question, "Can I get a witness?" I would surely offer.

Someone said earlier that people who post photos only want to get the reactions they want. Well, it sounds to me like many of the critiquing people on here are doing the same thing if they expect every person to give them a big thank you or be appreciative for tearing their photo up. The OP gets upset cause you don't sugar coat their answer? We'll, you're getting just as upset by them not appreciating your criticism. If you expect every person to appreciate your harsh words, then why do you bother with giving your opinion? The truth is because these people are wanting the same approval as the OP is, otherwise they wouldn't bother with complaining when they don't get it. Both parties are equally guilty of being insecure, IMO.

We all need to understand that people can act however they want. If you have a problem with something someone does, its YOUR problem and not theirs, even if you feel they are in the wrong (right or wrong is usually irrelevant in disputes). If they upset you, you can either complain about them, or tell yourself that you won't allow them to bother you like this, and move on. One solution is practical and productive, the other is pointless and unproductive. But the choice is only yours.

skieur

I couldn't disagree with this statement any more. I'm sure there are MANY other people who would disagree with you, and I'd be willing to bet more people who are in the photography hobby are of the opposite mindset (that cold, rude people have no place in this hobby), than are with you. I also don't think harsh and unfriendly criticism is allowed in this forum. The mission statement of The Photo Forum is clearly stated:

The Photo Forum FAQ said:
It is the mission of The Photo Forum to be an informative, educational, and friendly place to discuss all aspects of photography, as well as a place to share images.

Also the concept of a throw-away photo is subjective. This should never be said, because you do not know the other person well enough to say it. Not only that, but its totally nonconstructive, and possibly even destructive to someone's feelings.

I've dealt with the public in every job I've had, and never have I run into people who were like this. Its all in how you speak to them.

I only said 'some'.
I was a Lecturer in Photography for 15 years and never had a problem with the kids.
The evening classes with the adults, now. They were different.
Most were 'self-taught' and so believed things like 'the better the camera the better the picture' (as in 'I use a Hasselblad so my pictures must be better than yours') and 'if it's technically good then it must be a good picture' (bearing in mind that their idea of technically good was in focus and 'correctly' exposed).
If I tried to educate them even slightly as to the errors of their ways they would rant on about how I didn't know what I was talking about and that I was a useless teacher.
But then they would also say that they liked my pictures and ask why theirs weren't like that.
So I'd take a deep breath and start over.

And I know all about giving crits. I used to give dozens of crits a day, every day.
How many other people on here can say that they have given photo crits in a professional capacity? But just look what happens when I explain on here how to do successful crits: I'm either ignored or told I'm wrong by all the people who know better.
I rest my case :lmao:

I only said 'some'.
I was a Lecturer in Photography for 15 years and never had a problem with the kids.
The evening classes with the adults, now. They were different.
Most were 'self-taught' and so believed things like 'the better the camera the better the picture' (as in 'I use a Hasselblad so my pictures must be better than yours') and 'if it's technically good then it must be a good picture' (bearing in mind that their idea of technically good was in focus and 'correctly' exposed).
If I tried to educate them even slightly as to the errors of their ways they would rant on about how I didn't know what I was talking about and that I was a useless teacher.
But then they would also say that they liked my pictures and ask why theirs weren't like that.
So I'd take a deep breath and start over.

And I know all about giving crits. I used to give dozens of crits a day, every day.
How many other people on here can say that they have given photo crits in a professional capacity? But just look what happens when I explain on here how to do successful crits: I'm either ignored or told I'm wrong by all the people who know better.
I rest my case :lmao:

When I reread over my other post, I realized I made it sound like you're doing something wrong in order to get that reaction. This wasn't what I meant. As my signature says, if my post was taken in an offensive way I apologize. It wasn't my intention, I was merely stating a point.

But then again, I'm very unaware of what makes people rude. I had my boss pull me off to the side one day. I asked him what I did wrong, and he told me the next time a customer talked to me like the last customer did, to not serve them. I guess the person I was working with was very rude to me, and it never even crossed my mind! :)

When I reread over my other post, I realized I made it sound like you're doing something wrong in order to get that reaction. This wasn't what I meant.

I know you didn't so I didn't take it that way.
People are only offensive if you let yourself get offended. I rarely do but others are different. And you will find one or two who believe anyone else who dares to exist in their world is an offense before God.
I am a keen observer of people and their behaviour (it tends to go with being a teacher) and always try to understand what makes them tick.
My comments were based on observations of how people behave and react (and not just to me) made over half a Century (Oh crap! I've just depressed myself).
I suspect that you don't notice how others are behaving because you are too worried about offending them yourself and so are watching what you are doing. Your response to my post would seem to bear this out. ;)

:mrgreen:

Skieur on the topic of critisim there are right and wrong ways to critisise. I posted a picture in the professional gallery last year. It was a disaster shoot. Supposed to be sunset, ended up being late at night. I had with me 1 flash. It was trash, but I posted it anyway and asked for critique and how others would have taken the shot. You know what the first reply was?

"I hope you didn't charge them for that shot"

The two who wanted the photos loved it. But that's not the point. The point is the above does hurt feelings, trashes the skills of the photographer, and most importantly offers absolutely nothing constructive, at all. I searched for the users other posts and it seems that guy was just about **** stirring since he gave similar critique to other shots.

It's just as well you can't punch people through the internet.

I don't get it. 2 years I've been very active on this forum. Longer than that I've been lurking around. Yet only in the last 2 months I have ever needed to use the ignore button. And now twice!

OOH! Let me guess who. :mrgreen:...I guess I better not.:lol:

But, although I have not used it, recently I can see its usefulness growing. I think these thing just go in waves though, so don't jump ship just yet!

Most reactions

Back