KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
To get more students college ready, 20 years ago education reforms were launched in schooling earlier grades to improve all students communication skills.

Girls adjusted nicely, many boys didn't and we see those results manifested daily.

Author Richard Whiting - "Why Boys Fail" interesting reading.

I have four boys and they have communication issues. I seem to think maybe its just that they communicate differently than girls. Example, my motor mouth girls never stop talking, while my boys need prompting to get conversation. They communicate more with body language than verbal language. When my son is upset, I know because he gets quiet.

I have four boys and they have communication issues. I seem to think maybe its just that they communicate differently than girls. Example, my motor mouth girls never stop talking, while my boys need prompting to get conversation. They communicate more with body language than verbal language. When my son is upset, I know because he gets quiet.
Read the book?

Attitude and gender stereotypes are the problem rather than skills and thinking styles when it comes to education of boys vs. girls.

Girls are discouraged, even by parents and siblings to pursue a talent in computer design and software engineering for example. Some are even discouraged from pursuing a general interest in computers.That is a boy's area.

A lot of boys are encouraged to ignore school in favour of their participation in hockey tournaments usually by their fathers. It is more important for them to score a goal than get good marks despite the fact that probably less than 1% will ever have the necessary skills to pursue a sports career.

Interesting that this year at the Olympics the Canadian Women's Team of amateurs may do better than the men's team of pros in the race for gold.

Maybe we should teach men the supposed women's subjects in school and teach the women the supposed men's subjects.

skieur

Interesting that this year at the Olympics the Canadian Women's Team of amateurs may do better than the men's team of pros in the race for gold.

skieur

I'm pretty sure both Canadian team will win gold this year. However, the women's U.S. team looks pretty good. Both Canada vs. U.S. games should be good ones.

On topic though, I remember discussing "Why Boys Fail" in a Sociology class. It does have something to do with the gender stereotypes we have skieur stated above.

You're right. Generally, women speak out about problems they are having or when they are upset. Men generally bottle it up and deal with the problem internally.

Attitude and gender stereotypes are the problem rather than skills and thinking styles when it comes to education of boys vs. girls.

Girls are discouraged, even by parents and siblings to pursue a talent in computer design and software engineering for example. Some are even discouraged from pursuing a general interest in computers.That is a boy's area.

A lot of boys are encouraged to ignore school in favour of their participation in hockey tournaments usually by their fathers. It is more important for them to score a goal than get good marks despite the fact that probably less than 1% will ever have the necessary skills to pursue a sports career.

Maybe we should teach men the supposed women's subjects in school and teach the women the supposed men's subjects.

skieur

MEN ARE EVIL! OMG OMG! EVIL MEN!

thats exactly what i do lol. i shut down down all communications when im angry haha:lmao:

skieur

MEN ARE EVIL! OMG OMG! EVIL MEN!

Step away from whatever you have been into. :lol::lol::lol:

skieur

As a man, I just want a good cologne. I don't want to smell like sunsets and baby powder. I want to smell like jet fighters and punching.

Gender roles is, overall, a big issue in today's schools and in society overall. Men are supposed to act a certain way, and women are supposed to act a certain way. We have gender norms that have become so built up, there's very little room to be different.

I think that relaxing these stereotypes of "boys have to play sports and be manly" and "girls should be dainty and lady-like" is the first step. Maybe they aren't as extreme now as they were 20-30 years ago, but they are still there.

I will definitely check out that book...but without reading it yet, my question is this: do girls and boys communicate differently because of fundamental biological differences, or because of the societal norms?

Also, smelling like jet fighters and punching doesn't sound good...but methinks creating this cologne would be a good business idea.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back