Why brag about 70D?

There is a 28-300mm L lens!

And that's about as much as I know about it - its not as popular as many others; the high price tending to mean that people with that budget tend to favour quality and reduced focal length range (or even single focal length range) over the wider range offered in the lens.

3rd party companies also make a range of good quality EF-s lenes and many of the time they are specifically for the EF's market - offering wider angle (super wide); often offering better zoom ranges (18-55 instead of 24-70mm - and 50-150mm instead of 70-200mm).

What constitutes "better"?

Good question and often the "better" just translates to giving equivalent fields of view to roughly what you'd get on the 35mm/fullframe lenses with 24-70mm and 70-200mm lenses - which for many (esp those very used to 35mm cameras) can feel too long at their shortest focal length when used on crop sensor cameras.
It's mostly about replicating the similar experience and angles of view on offer in a different sensor format size.

And that's about as much as I know about it - its not as popular as many others; the high price tending to mean that people with that budget tend to favour quality and reduced focal length range (or even single focal length range) over the wider range offered in the lens.

Yes, I saw that lens. It's non macro and weighs 4 lbs!! If I want to lug a 4 lb lens around 8 hrs a day for 2 weeks in a museum I'll use my Sigma 50-500mm which is probably a better lens than the Canon anyway. Plus that Canon lens costs more than my 6D camera. I've sent 3 emails to Sigma to produce something comparable and if they ever do I'll probably buy their lens.

Yes, I saw that lens. It's non macro and weighs 4 lbs!! If I want to lug a 4 lb lens around 8 hrs a day for 2 weeks in a museum I'll use my Sigma 50-500mm which is probably a better lens than the Canon anyway. Plus that Canon lens costs more than my 6D camera. I've sent 3 emails to Sigma to produce something comparable and if they ever do I'll probably buy their lens.

I own the 50-500mm, and I've used the 28-300mm L. The Canon is the better lens...

A 70D huh? Wow, my 40D and I are out of the loop!

Oh, did I mention how awesome my 40D is?
It takes pictures!
And when I expose and focus correctly, the pictures look great!
My 40D roxorz!!!1!one!

Well then this means you have the exact camera you need and you are in your happy place. Dont worry about other cameras then just go, shoot and be happy!

How in the world did you get that out of what I said ? That wasn't the point at all. The point is that saying one crop camera is. "Far better" (as was stated) than another crop camera is inaccurate given the fact that the sensor and the focus system are the same. And for the record I don't have either of those cameras.

But the T3i and 70D do have different sensors and focus systems. And image processors.

A 70D huh? Wow, my 40D and I are out of the loop!

Oh, did I mention how awesome my 40D is?
It takes pictures!
And when I expose and focus correctly, the pictures look great!
My 40D roxorz!!!1!one!

You mean your shots don't get gradually worse and worse every time a new model comes out? Craziness.

Well then this means you have the exact camera you need and you are in your happy place. Dont worry about other cameras then just go, shoot and be happy!

How in the world did you get that out of what I said ? That wasn't the point at all. The point is that saying one crop camera is. "Far better" (as was stated) than another crop camera is inaccurate given the fact that the sensor and the focus system are the same. And for the record I don't have either of those cameras.

But the T3i and 70D do have different sensors and focus systems. And image processors.

70D has new Dual Pixal CMOS. Sounds good, right? It has nothing to do with image quality.

I own the 50-500mm, and I've used the 28-300mm L. The Canon is the better lens...

I'm not saying the Canon lens is not a better lens than Sigma's 50-500mm. I've conducted no tests. I'll take your word for it. I'm certain it's better that the Tamron 28-300mm. I'm just saying it costs more that the 6D, it isn't macro and it weighs 4 lbs. I've not had good luck with Canon lenses. I've had excellent luck with Sigma lenses. So I'm very reluctant to spend a lot of money on the Canon 28-300mm. If I did spend the money I would probably get one that had some sort of aggravating characteristic like the push pull zoom action that I doubt I would like.

Last edited:

I'm not saying the Canon lens is not a better lens than Sigma's 50-500mm. I've conducted no tests. I'll take your word for it. I'm certain it's better that the Tamron 28-300mm. I'm just saying it costs more that the 6D, it isn't macro and it weighs 4 lbs. I've not had good luck with Canon lenses. I've had excellent luck with Sigma lenses. So I'm very reluctant to spend a lot of money on the Canon 28-300mm. If I did spend the money I would probably get one that had some sort of aggravating characteristic like the push pull zoom action that I doubt I would like.

I'm a little confused on how you weren't saying that the Sigma was a better lens (see above). This has gotten way off topic though. My camera has been outdated twice and I still love it. My lens is good too. Yeah, it's not super sharp, and no, it doesn't have an 18-800mm range. Somehow it always gets the job done though.

I'm a little confused on how you weren't saying that the Sigma was a better lens (see above).

I was wondering the same...

Sorry for the confusion. I could have been a bit more clear. I've owned 2 Canon lenses since I started into digital cameras. Both have been very annoying and generally disappointing. The first lens I ever bought for a DSLR was the Canon 70-300mm. On my first trip to a zoo I discovered it was completely inadequate. It wouldn't focus close enough or wide enough. My second Canon lens came with the 6D, a 24-105mm macro that has an inadequate zoom range and provides slightly soft photos. On the other hand I have never been disappointed in any Sigma lens I've owned and I own quite a few. So this is my experience and observations based on a few years and nearly 19,000 photos of DSLR photography: in my personal experience Canon lenses have been a big disappointment compared to Sigma lens. So now lets get to my statement which some folks are having an issue with:

If I want to lug a 4 lb lens around 8 hrs a day for 2 weeks in a museum I'll use my Sigma 50-500mm which is probably a better lens than the Canon anyway.

I will take everyone's word that the Canon 28-300mm lens is a better lens than the Sigma 50-500mm lens however from my perspective and wallet I can easily see that I would again be very disappointed with a Canon lens. I would be kicking myself for buying one. I wouldn't like the trombone action if nothing else. That's why I said the Sigma 50-500mm is PROBABLY a better lens than the Canon. There's a big difference in probably and certainty. Perhaps I should have said a better lens for me. I will never be certain myself because I won't buy or even rent one. After you get bit twice you tend to avoid a third time.

Most reactions

Back