Why buy a Mac?

i would agree with that statement

Too each his/her own. It all depends on what you are used to and are proficient with. I do a lot of post and prefer my systems.

I'm not sure what Microsoft telephone customer support for Windows is like because I haven't had to phone them for at least ten years, but I can say for sure that Apple telephone support is good. Only last weekend I spent four hours on the phone to them about problems with a brand new Macbook running Leopard. They didn't solve any of the three problems but they did try hard, and I look forward to having another little chat with them in the very near future. They are really friendly guys. Useless, but cool. Thank goodness my Macbook runs Windows fairly well.

Best,
Helen
That was the perfect level of humor to start my bi-weekly trudge from Berlin to Amsterdam and back. Thanks Helen, you made me laugh out loud.

for me, its more of a jealousy thing... I can afford a pc with the features i want. i cant afford a mac with those same specs.

vista is slow and takes a lot of memory, but i'd still take it over XP just because i like the new visual style of it. I dont do a lot of hard core computing anyway so usually its not really a problem

Did you ever think that the whole "I must have a lot of memory and processor" attitude is driven by the bloated MS Windows releases of past to now? Did you ever think about how much Microsoft makes every year from "planned obsolescence"? MS makes huge profits each year by convincing thousands of people that a new computer is needed every year... Dell and Intel also stands to profit. There is zero incentive for streamlining the OS when all it does is drive hardware sales.....

You can do a just as much as a windows box with less Mac hardware... it is a problem with basic O/S design.

Shorty admits not being a hard core user..... I bet he'll need a new machine to run Vista. Me... I'll be running just Leopard just fine on my old G4... and i classify myself as a hard core user. I bet that Shorty has spent less money on computers over the past 8 years than I have on Mac.

btw... Old Macs are upgradable in terms of memory, disk, and even processor.... and for reasonable prices.. www.macsales.com

i already have a computer that runs vista. It was my choice to upgrade though. My computer was getting old so i bought a new one. and yeah, i probably HAVE spent less money on computers than you have. but why would you care about what OS i'm using? its not my fault that microsoft made vista a memory hog and all that. I'm a pc user so i use a pc. theres just something about that company that i dont like. why must everything they sell be made of white plastic and cost more than its pc counterpart? The mac's wireless mighty mouse is $69.99 on amazon, a microsoft wireless mouse is $27.99. why do all their stores look like fashion boutiques? why wont they make an original commercial anymore? i just always feel like apple is this huge company that is trying to overtake the world with expensive shiny things and brainwashing all its users with a sense of superiority .... and its that attitude that will probalby prevent me from ever buying a mac. The pc environment feels more welcoming to me. but whatever, i'm sick of this thread. this is going to be my last post on here. just remember OP, its your decision, not ours

i already have a computer that runs vista. It was my choice to upgrade though. My computer was getting old so i bought a new one. and yeah, i probably HAVE spent less money on computers than you have.

Doubt it... I haven't purchased a computer in 6 years....

but why would you care about what OS i'm using? its not my fault that microsoft made vista a memory hog and all that.

Nope not your fault... its Microsofts fault. Never said anything differently. I simply addressed my opinion regarding people complaining that Mac is so expensive... it is not... Mac Mini starting at $599 will satisfy most users out there who haven't been programmed into thinking that they need X amount of memory and Y processor(s).

I'm a pc user so i use a pc. theres just something about that company that i dont like. why must everything they sell be made of white plastic and cost more than its pc counterpart?

Again.. I don't think it costs more than the PC counterpart. And the "Look".. well... it does sell (ipods for example) and HP, Sony, Acer etc.. have all tried many times to establish their "own" look. They all failed... even Alienware has their own "look" No complaints against them eh?

The mac's wireless mighty mouse is $69.99 on amazon, a microsoft wireless mouse is $27.99.

Yo... Apples to apple comparison just to be fair. Microsoft Wireless Laser mouse 8000 sells for $90 bucks and is more inline with mighty mouse. You aren't forced to use Apple Keyboard and mouse.. in fact, I use MS natural keyboard and Kensington Wireless mouse (two buttons btw). My choice as they are comfortable. Microsoft's Natural keyboard is PERFECT!

why do all their stores look like fashion boutiques? why wont they make an original commercial anymore? i just always feel like apple is this huge company that is trying to overtake the world with expensive shiny things and brainwashing all its users with a sense of superiority .... and its that attitude that will probalby prevent me from ever buying a mac.

All the same reasons why you won't catch me in a BMW or Mercedes... all expensive shiny things and brainwashing all tis users with a sense of superiority. << Sound familiar? All internalized reasons with no substance... even I'll admit it in regards to BMW and Mercs.. nothing wrong with the products themselves.

Don't see why you take everything personally.. simply debunking a lot of the stuff that is thrown against Macs as not necessarily true. Almost every time I post to these threads it often is reduced to Mac users stating why they prefer Apple (and talking specifics) and one or two windows users throwing up their arms with not so true statements.

I'm not forcing anyone as you eluded... I even stated that you should stick to whatever you are comfortable with....

Remember ... Shorty... you are the one that posted the Mac STFU link and compared Apple's high end mouse to MS low cost wireless mouse.

aw crap.... i knew you were gonna do that. Now i need to respond. Seriously this thread is pissing me off though. You say that all these threads always go the same way with mac users giving a bunch of "facts" and windows users giving not so true info. I completely disagree. Us windows users cant use YOUR arguements though. but for the sake of arguement, i might as well give MY reasons for using a PC. - It just works (yeah, i said it and i stand by it) ,
- Easy to use and navigate the OS.
- More options for personalization of hardware
- Better prices
- More program compatablility

there are some facts for everyone, and instead of picking apart MY reasons for buying a PC, just give your own list of facts. and i'll try my hardest if everyone else here does... lets please try to keep this civil and not attack each other anymore

thats why i said i'll try as well! but i DID add the disclaimer that i didnt want it to fuel any further arguement... wich apparently everyone ignored. I just thought it was funny and somewhat relevent to the topic. lets just be glad this isnt a REAL controversal topic...

vista is slow and takes a lot of memory
Vista was slow on the standard 512MB that came with my laptop, but it wasn't screaming to move. With a cheap 2GIG memory stick (and Vista caching up all my programs I use), Vista runs like a champ.
MS makes huge profits each year by convincing thousands of people that a new computer is needed every year... Dell and Intel also stands to profit. There is zero incentive for streamlining the OS when all it does is drive hardware sales.....
Trying to figure out this statement. MS makes its money through liscencing of Windows - they have not a whole lot to do with tech companies (IMB, AMD, eVGA, NVIDIA, SAMSUNG etc) pushing the latest CPUS/Video Cards/Hard Drive tech on the general public.
I bet he'll need a new machine to run Vista.
About the only thing someone needs to run Vista is 1GIG of ram and a fairly "newish" computer (nothing that struggled to run Windows 2000).
Mac Mini starting at $599 will satisfy most users out there who haven't been programmed into thinking that they need X amount of memory and Y processor(s).
If someone just needs to use email and write a paper and watch youtube - 599 can get them a sick PC with more bells and whistles than they could ever need (and often will get a monitor thrown in). Hell the eeePC (if you can find one) would probably be a cheaper, and cost-lessier option.
The Maddox link pretty much summed up my opinion of most Mac users. And I'll put the sleek business design of my Thinkpad against a Mac users MacBook anyday.
PS - I don't hate Macs. I MIGHT use one if the option to get a black Mac didnt costmore money (on an already overpriced piece of hardware).

Thanks people.
I think that I get it. I love Windows. But, I hate windows, you know?
It's kinda like growing up in chaos, you love it because that's all you know. Until you take your first vacation.
I have a desktop and a laptop (both windows).
Sometimes, I have to get on the desktop just so that I won't throw my laptop out of the window (and vice-versa).
As I stated before, all I need is CS3 and internet access (and lightroom, and the bridge, and all things adobe)
So, if I buy a mac next, it may just be a good move.:thumbup:

As a Macbook owner, I would not recommend the Macbook for image editing unless you get a good external monitor.

Best,
Helen

Neither would I, but the Macbook is particularly bad in this respect. Some laptop displays are usable for some image editing purposes, thank goodness. One of the advantages of Windows-based laptops is that you have a much wider choice of screens.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back