Why can I not get these sharp??

jrwillden

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have taken many pictures lately that are not sharp. I have been using the automatic focus and waiting for the green light but this is how they turn out. They just are not very sharp. Is this operator error? Do I need a tripod? OR is the problem that I took them on a 35mm camera and had them put on a CD.

evann.jpg

487515-R1-14-15.jpg

In the first one it looks like the leaves just to the right of her are in good focus.

In the 2nd one I cant tell.

Have you tried to sharpen the images off the cd with Photoshop or something similar?

Its film, I highly doubt he remembers the settings.

I think you missed focus on the first, or your DOF was so small that you didnt get your subject completely in focus.

Well, sometimes I just think that babies have relatively out of focus faces. They're so soft and curved, only the eyes sometimes appear to be sharp.

But in this case I suspect the quality of the CD. Exactly what is the scanned resolution? Size and PPI? I checked the first one and it's something like 8 inches by 5 at 96 ppi.

Which is useless for anything other than a small web image. Totally useless for printing!

Who did the CD?

I'm guessing Wally World or some drugstore. Right?

It would also be helpful to know the type of film used, the lens, and, of course, who developed the film.

sorry, but a lot of photographers keep very detail notes.
neither good nor bad, just a personal method of working.

What I remember is Minolta HTsi, Kodak 70-120mm @ 135mm (likely), 400 ISO, in full automatic mode.

I don't know anything about the CD or how it was scanned but I would imagine either Snapfish or Walmart developed & scanned--Walmart only if really eager to see results (which I probably was).

I have done very little PP because the only program I have is Microsoft Digital Image Starter Edition which only gives me the very basic tasks. I looked into Photoshop which seems to be out of the price range of a larger family's budget. Is it really $600?? Maybe I misread the price tag...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This one I am also curious about--perhaps I need a new thread though...
This was taken on my digital (Kodak Z712 IS): Aperture priority, f8 @ 1/800 sec, 400 ISO, 19mm. Shouln't this have been in focus to the tractor & barn?
And, yes, would have been nice if she would have looked at me...stubborn cow.

100_1466.jpg

I have taken many pictures lately that are not sharp. I have been using the automatic focus and waiting for the green light but this is how they turn out. They just are not very sharp. Is this operator error? Do I need a tripod? OR is the problem that I took them on a 35mm camera and had them put on a CD.
Maybe you can get a print from the negative and see if thatcomes sharp? That would confirm that the problem was transfering to the CD.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back