Why Can't I get this to look right??

theheater

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I have spent the last while trying to become more familiar with the HDR process. So, I took some advice from Woodsac, and began taking some pictures. However, I can't seem to get the right look. Here is what I want my the feel of my photo to be like:

128858216-L.jpg

I especially love the clouds... However, here is what I have done...

I went out, and took a photo using my auto focus. Then I transferred those numbers to my manual settings, and re-shot the picture. Then without changing the F# (I beleive is called the aperture), I shot using different shutter speeds, to get 4 or 5 different pictures.

Here are the exposures I used, and the photos... then the final result... please help me figure out why I can't get this look. Is it the photo I am using, or the post production work on it??? Please help me, I really want to perfect this technique. Thanks.

100-1547
ISO 100, 1/400, f/4.0, 20mm
491841686_1c659d8ae9.jpg

100-1549
ISO 100, 1/200, f/4.0, 20mm
491841712_89090cc6a6.jpg

100-1550
ISO 100, 1/800, f/4.0, 20mm
491841726_419d41e3f4.jpg

100-1551
ISO 100, 1/1250, f/4.0, 20mm
491841766_84b4f8c393.jpg

And unfortunately, I could not get a better product then this.... What did I do wrong?? (I am using the trial copy of Photomatix)

491850814_b0c1de6391.jpg

Looks pretty good to me! I think the reason you aren't getting the results you are hoping for, is it (from my understanding) is quite an experimental thing. If you look at Woodsac's his has a very dramatic element taken with a very dramatic lens (if that makes sense) - so, some subjects are just going to have that extra 'punch' over others. Obviously I am not the best one to answer with such limited HDR experience - but, for this photo, I would throw it into curves, and then do some dodging and burning to 'dramatize' it a bit more.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Personally i think the image looks very well exposed and i wouldn't have guessed it was a HDR unless you mentioned it.

I think the look you get is dependant on the subject matter you choose to shoot. With the greatest of respect, you have a photo of some water, sky and the thinnest looking bridge i've ever seen shot on an overcast day. It was never gonna be that dramatic.

For what you have phtographed though, it's a perfectly balanced photo. The rest is down to how you choose to edit it.:thumbup:

Your HDR looks awesome if you ask me. Not quite the effect you want, but looks great. I wish I had Photomatix but if I had the trial version it'd only make me want SO much more. I'll keep trying with my Photoshop.

i agree with the above statements, except, i could tell it was HDR-d (it was too luminous to not be). i think your picture looks beautiful

to answer your question specifically, yes, it was the subject that doesnt give your picture the feel of his. my advice is to try the same workflow on a picture with a different subject and perspective

the colors in your originals are just a little to flat due to the overcast sky. The trick to the look you want is high saturation, and thats hard to pull off with such overcast skys.

You did make it look like more normal day, with normal sunlights. Hide hand of hdr good.

think the job was well done, it is just not a wide angle ;)

and you could push contrast and saturation for the sky a bit to make it more disney pop-like :)

the colors in your originals are just a little to flat due to the overcast sky. The trick to the look you want is high saturation, and thats hard to pull off with such overcast skys.
I can agree with this. Just using HDR is not going to give you an excellent image you need to wait till the conditions are right find the best angle and use a more dramatic lens to capture the image the way you want it.

I agree, the photo looks fine for the subject matter used.

If you want dramatic effects, you'll need more colors than a hazy sky, grey bridge, bluish water, Sunlit buildings and rocks.

Try something like a bright colored subject and see if you get more "drama".

I like the way it looks. I guess it's time to download the demo and try it myself. Thanks!

Another reason it might not be turning out the way you want is because you are using the aperature to vary the exposure. This also changes depth of field. Try only changing the shutter speed instead.

I think you will find in the first image that you wanted your work to look like the wide angle / fish eye lens and quite a bit of editing have been done to enhance the image. You must admit the effect of the HDR image you created is better than anyone of your single shots. This is the benefit of HDR. More information, more tonal range....Keep experimenting, you are on your way..

Most reactions

Back