Why did the quality go down?

EscapeTurn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello! :p

This is my first post here. I came because I've got a question!

I'm kindof upset that my camera is still relatively new but it won't take motion pictures anymore. The quality of all of my pictures has really gone down.

When I first got it, it could stop a hummingbird's wings.

hummingbird3.jpg
hummingbird4.jpg
hummingbird2.jpg

Now I can't get a clear picture of my dogs running. They all turn out like this:

run01.jpg

Whats going on?

I got my camera (Sony Cybershot DSC-P100, 5.1 megapixels) last August, so really its only a year old. But I've taken 4,500 pictures since I bought it, and about 3,000 in the last three months.

Is it getting old? or is it just overused? Can it be fixed? I don't really want to go blow upwards of $500 on a new camera...

Thanks in advance for any advice! :hail:

Is there any chance that you may have the ISO set too low?
Can we view the Exif info for your photo?

I agree,it looks like camera shake. I would guess that the shutter is open to long. I would look a the settings to try to get a shorter shutter speed. I am not fam. with your camera but things to look at are ISO speed, aperture, and the shutter speed. That is if you can adjust any of those. Good luck.

Yea, I believe there is a setting you could change to fix this.. Look for ISO in the meny, or maybe the lens is using too much time to create the pic, and therefore the dogs movement is ruining everything.. Look for shutter speed.

.. Or?

I could be wrong, but i don't think I can adjust any of those. I've tried but can't find the option. I'm not doing anything different than I did a year ago. Why would the shutter stay open longer now?

IT was probably shot in low light at 5 or 6 at night. If you shot during the day, they'd turn out ok.

If you want to shoot in low light, spend the big bucks for the DSLR.

I would imagine your Sony Cybershot DSC-P100 is very similar to my Sony Cybershot DSC-P90, so you will have full manual mode.

You obviously don't know about this though. So I assume you always take your photos with the camera set to the green camera symbol?

Try turning the dial to the 'P' option on the dial, then press the menu button. One of the options will be ISO, set it to the highest number when you want to shoot something that you think might come out blurred... Read the manual! It's a decent camera, and it will shoot almost anything if you just learn to use it!

I went looking for the specs of this camera...

[font=arial, helvetica]DSC-P100 Major Features: [/font]

• [font=arial, helvetica][size=-1]
  • Sony 5.0 Megapixel effective CCD image sensor
  • Carl Zeiss 3x Zoom (38-114mm equivalent in 35mm photography)
  • Still Image: 2592x1944, 2592(3:2), 2048x1536, 1280x960, 640x480
  • MPEG Movie: 640x480 VX Fine w/audio at 30fps (Memory Stick Pro required),
    640x480 VX at 16fps, length limited only by media
  • Auto, Program AE, Full Manual plus 9 Scene modes
  • Live histogram display in capture and playback
  • 5 Area Multi-point AF; auto or selectable Spot AF point
  • 1.8" TFT color (134,000 pixels) LCD Screen with Auto Brightness
  • ISO Sensitivity: Auto, 100, 200, 400
  • Adjustable color saturation, contrast and sharpness
  • Noise Reduction: Automatically cleans up long exposure images
  • 14bit A/D Conversion - allows a wider dynamic range from highlight to shadow
  • Built-in flash with Auto Fill, Red Eye Reduction and Slow Synchro
  • USB 2.0 Auto-Connect to host computer
  • Rechargeable InfoLithium battery and charger included
  • Optional Cyber-shot Station camera dock and controller
  • Memory Stick & Memory Stick Pro compatible to 1GB, 32MB included.
  • DPOF and PictBridge direct-print USB compatible[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica]
Figure out how to set that ISO to 400 and you got it. :thumbup::D
[/font]

Great! I figured it out. I feel like a total noob now that I didn't know about those features before! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! :D

EscapeTurn said:
Great! I figured it out. I feel like a total noob now that I didn't know about those features before! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! :D
Glad I could help!
Keep reading through the forums and you'll get a really good understanding of everything! :D

I also find when my batteries are getting low, I get blurry pictures, have you changed the batteries latley?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back