Why did you buy a Sony?

Discussion in 'Sony Cameras' started by EDL, Apr 28, 2012.

1. lance70

lance70 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I used both Canon & Nikon in the past and made the switch to Sony because of the size and weight along with image quality... been very impressed with it.

2. dasmith232

dasmith232 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I like having first-hand knowledge.

Soapbox: I work with a lot of photographers in real-life and conversing over the internet. There's a general trend to dwell on things that are missing, wrong or inferior with things. Cameras, cars, wine, jobs, spouses (the list doesn't really stop). There's a video by photographer Dewitt Jones called "Celebrate What's Right with the World." I think it's worth watching.

Anyway, I got the a6000 based on recommendations. I like it. It does many things very well. There are things that the Sony does that no other camera does and that I like better. Likewise, there are things I like better about my Nikon (I love how configurable it is and how much control I can have). And Canon? Same thing. I just happen to have a lot more Canon stuff.

When I want small and light, I grab the Sony. When I want to use some amazing optics, I reach for the Canon. It's simply a matter of grabbing the right tool for the job.

When you have only one screwdriver, it can be used for many different jobs. If you happen to have a full set of screwdrivers, you're more likely to grab the optimal tool for the job as it's simply more enjoyable. And yeah, sometimes you *need* a more specialized tool for particular needs.

"It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools." Any of these cameras can take great pictures.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CherylL

CherylL No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with dasmith when you want something small and light grab the Sony. I have the Sony RX100iii and iv. Use them primarily for video and time-lapse on vacation and local festivals. They are compact, light weight and I think I blend into the background better when shooting video. People don't pay attention since it is a compact. If I am taking photos of the grandkids then I will go for the Canon.

4. bruced

bruced TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Because I got a great deal on a used Alpha 300 with an 18-70mm lens and a 55-200mm lens.

5. Agrend7

Agrend7 TPF Noob!

I think this topic is quite good for my first post.

In past I used a Nikon D300 and i was very happy with all that buttons and wheels for configuration.

But then I sold it and bought a Sony A6000. There are two reasons for it.
    The first reason is the very good picture quality and the awesome 23 megapixel sensor.
    The other reason is: That the best camera is the one that you carry with you :)

Best regards

6. TrolleySwag

TrolleySwag No longer a newbie, moving up!

Got an a6000 plua cash in a trade of my Canon 6d

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

7. orf

orf TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

It has a Carl Zeiss T* lens.