Why did you buy a Sony?

Discussion in 'Sony Cameras' started by EDL, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Kolia

Kolia No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It would only make sense if we knew how much R&D money is being put by each company.

100% of 20$ vs 20% of 100$ ...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. shawnsmithphoto

shawnsmithphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The Sony rep was at Best Buy and talked me into it :) Either way, I am a beginner and Sony seems more instructive than the others. Or at least I personally understand the menus and settings. It also has a built in Stabilizer I believe and that seems to help me since I am usually moving around more than the subject trying to get the right shot. As I learn more, I don't know if I will stick with Sony or go to Nikon or Canon....stay tuned

3. ConradM

ConradM No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Using a Nikon or Canon is weird after using a Sony Alpha when you realized you're kind of guessing how the picture will come out.

Funny story about BB. I was there looking at all 3 brands before I got a DSLR and the Cannon rep was there. We were chatting for a bit when I picked up the A33. The thing that caught my eye was the live view and tilting screen. Then I looked through the eye piece and noticed the level. I asked the Canon rep why the more expensive T3i didn't have those features and she got mad. :lmao: It was a legitimate question too as I knew nothing about DSLR's.

4. ColRay

ColRay TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Why by Sony.. because I have several Minolta and Tamron lenes that work just fine on the Sony

5. Charmed

Charmed TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My wife bought me a Sony a200 for my 40th 3 years ago. It was my first DSLR. While out shopping yesterday she bought my a Sony a37, my first DSLT.
    We have been talking about upgrading my camera for a while.

6. Nervine

Nervine TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    After researching camera's for a few weeks I decided on the A55 as an entry level into photography. With no vision of what I wanted to take photo's of I have continually played with different styles.

I was going to upgrade to the A77 however will wait to see what comes of the A78 in the next few months.

Only downside for me is the lowlight but I can live with that.

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

7. jamesthefotodude432

jamesthefotodude432 TPF Noob!

I wanted to get away from the bulky dslrs. At the same point i wanted a apc sized sensor and the ability to add lenses. I also wanted a viewfinder in the camera. These 4 wishes led me to the sony nex7. I kept my dslr for away but found that i was never using the nikon and when i did, i spent more times in the settings trying to get the same foto as i was so easily getting with the nex7. I was such a crazy difference in how easy and fast i got good shots with the nex7. I sold my nikon gear. When i wanted full frame, i bought the RX1.

8. anderj101

anderj101 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I used a friend's Minolta 7D and then found out that Sony had acquired the camera line from Minolta. I purchased a Sony A350 back in 2008, then sold it a couple year later in favor of the A300's sensor. Shortly after, I picked up a used Minolta 7D after finding that the lenses are interchangeable. Some years later, I purchased a second A300 as a backup. A secondary reason I chose the Sony Alpha is that I like the menus and control placement a bit better than the entry-level Nikons or Canons.

9. D-B-J

D-B-J Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I didn't, I bought Nikon. But I think Sony makes the sensor... if that counts...

10. SDB777

SDB777 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I thought, hmmmm? If the sensors in some top end cameras are coming from Sony(think Nikon), then why not just skip the middle man and get the better camera!

Scott (stirring quickly in this pot) B

11. D-B-J

D-B-J Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Just because they make the best sensors doesn't mean they make really good bodies etc.

12. JustJazzie

JustJazzie Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

I bought a sony because I had an acquaintance who owned a NEX5 and the image quality compared to my old xsi just blew me away. While I love the features on my NEX-7, I cant say I am impressed with how it has held up. :-(